Mac stuck at shutting down screen with gray spinning wheel. HELP.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by randomdude321, Jul 15, 2011.

1. randomdude321 macrumors newbie

Hi, my MacBook Pro recently started to more or less hang on the shutdown process. I will shutdown the laptop, and it'll hang at the bluescreen with the gray thing spinning. I left it alone thinking it was just a quark, but after an hour, it was still there. I had to hold down the power button to get it to shutdown. I posted this on the Apple Support forum, but it devolved into an argument over the idea of fixing the permission is necessary and what not. Please, help a noob out.

2. randomdude321 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cdustybk macrumors member

sorry

Mine has had a similar problem before. Did it happen right after you woke it from sleep? Every Apple computer I've ever had has had issues with waking from sleep.

Either that or it could be a hard drive problem. You haven't dropped it lately have you? Usually, if you have problems staying on the gray screen at startup its the hard disk. You might try disk utility to check it anyway...

Hope its the first! And good luck!

4. randomdude321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this occurred when I take my laptop out of sleep.

5. Naphtali macrumors newbie

I got a new macbook pro about four months ago and it ran great up until it got stuck in a update loop where it would show the progress wheel on start up and then show a grey progress bar and then shut off. It would do this in loop non stop! So I brought it to best buy and it was a bad hard drive so they gave me a new one :) So it might be a bad hard drive...