Mac stuck in startup

Condork19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
I was recently grounded by my parents, so I had to give up all of my electronics. When I handed over the Mac, I wasn't aware that it was in sleep mode. So it was firmly locked away for a month in sleep mode which I'm sure is very bad. So I got it back today, and as soon as I turned it on I had to update Itunes and Adobe Flashplayer. A tab came up, stating that I needed to restart my computer. I restarted it with no trouble, but I thought that it would be a good idea to let my mac rest for a couple minutes before I started using it again. So I shut it down, but when I tried to turn it back on there was only a grey screen with the Apple symbol and a loading wheel below it.
When I go to Disk Utility, I can not repair the hardrive. Instead, a tab comes up saying that I must backup as many files as I can, re-format the disk, and then restore the backed-up files. How do I do those things and what could have caused this?

It will not go into Safemode, and resetting PRAM and NVRAM results in the unchanging grey screen although I do hear the second chime. When I put it into verbose mode, the last thing the terminal reads is:

'kernel is LP64 [I0BluetoothHCIController : :setConfigState] calling registerService'

I went to the recovery hardrive, but could not install Lion, since the hardrives were locked. I don't have a backup in TimeMachine. My laptop is a 13" OS X MacBook Pro Lion.

skofgar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
[…]when I tried to turn it back on there was only a grey screen with the Apple symbol and a loading wheel below it.[…]
Are you talking of this screen?

If yes that should be totally normal...

[…]When I go to Disk Utility, I can not repair the hardrive.[…]
  • The operating system partition cannot be repaired unless you are booting from the recovery partition. However you may repair the permissions
  • How do you get into Disk Utility if you are not able to boot? Did you try using the recovery partition?

[…]Instead, a tab comes up saying that I must backup as many files as I can, re-format the disk, and then restore the backed-up files. How do I do those things and what could have caused this?[…]
I have never heard of this tab/window… does this appear when you start your mac and wait? is it possible you could make a picture of it and post it?

Maybe it is worth a try to use the Safe-Mode… just to check if it would boot (Booting in Safemode usually takes a few minutes longer than normal boot)

Is your hard-drive encrypted by Filevault 2

Last edited:

Condork19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Are you talking of this screen?

If yes that should be totally normal...
I am aware that that is completely normal, however the loading screen has stayed that way for about four hours with no completion.

• The operating system partition cannot be repaired unless you are booting from the recovery partition. However you may repair the permissions
  • How do you get into Disk Utility if you are not able to boot? Did you try using the recovery partition?
I went to the recovery hardrive by pressing 'ctrl+r' at the startup. I had the option of using Time Machine, which I can not since I ahve no back-ups. I had the option of installing Lion, which I can not because the hardrives are locked. I had the option of seeking online help from the help section on the Apple website, but it hasn't been too helpful. I lastly had the option of using Disk Utility to verify the permissions, and to repair the disk but I can not. A tab came up saying that the disk could not be repaired and that I needed to back-up as many files as I could, re-format the disk, and then restore the backed-up files.

Maybe it is worth a try to use the Safe-Mode… just to check if it would boot (Booting in Safemode usually takes a few minutes longer than normal boot)
I already tried to get into Safe-Mode but my laptop remained with that very same grey screen as you pictured above. I know that it takes longer to load, but I had the laptop on for a couple hours and nothing popped up. Should I have just left it on over-night while it was loading?

Is your hard-drive encrypted by Filevault 2
Ehm, I don't know... I don't know what Filevault2 is. I'm sorry.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Can you boot into Single User Mode? (Command + S) If you can, it should arrive at a CLI prompt. Type:

Code:
/sbin/fsck -y
/sbin/mount -wu /
reboot

Condork19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
No, it just goes to verbose mode. I can't type anything, I just see qhite writing on the black screen.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
No, it just goes to verbose mode. I can't type anything, I just see qhite writing on the black screen.
The white text on a black screen is single user mode(assuming you used Cmd+S to get there). It should arrive at a prompt where you can type. Then put in the commands from my previous post. That is called a CLI(Command Line Interface), as opposed to a GUI(Graphic User Interface). Those commands do a filesystem check(and repair if necessary), mount the filesystem cleanly, and then reboot, so that the filesystem unmounts cleanly so if that's the only issue it should reboot into a working system.

Condork19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
The white text on a black screen is single user mode(assuming you used Cmd+S to get there). It should arrive at a prompt where you can type. Then put in the commands from my previous post. That is called a CLI(Command Line Interface), as opposed to a GUI(Graphic User Interface). Those commands do a filesystem check(and repair if necessary), mount the filesystem cleanly, and then reboot, so that the filesystem unmounts cleanly so if that's the only issue it should reboot into a working system.
No, there is nothing that comes up that allows me to type. I've pressed cmd+s before I turned the laptop on and after but I'm never able to type in anything.

majkom

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Maybe disk is dead (I had similar problem with macbook air revA) - but AFAIR i was able to format disk and instal os x (but after max few months, same thing happened again) - try to boot from usb drive, does that work?

skofgar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Maybe you could try the Target Disk Mode

Oh - sorry to hear that nothing worked so far…

Do you have another computer available?

If yes:
You might be able to try to retrieve/rescue data of your computer by using the Target Disk Mode (Depending on your MacBook Pro it would be via Thunderbolt or Firewire)

• when booting press 'T' before the Apple-Logo shows up
  • e.g. a firewire symbol should appear instead of the Apple-logo
  • connect the mac via Firewire/Thunderbolt to another computer
  • your mac should show up like an external hard-drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode

About FileVault 2

*FileVault 2 is an hard-drive encryption technology developed to protect sensitive information. It encrypts the entire hard-drive. Disk utility can only repair such hard drives / partitions if it knows the password to decrypt the hard drive. But it doesn't look like that this is the case with your Mac.