Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I do a lot of exporting with Adobe Media Encoder and I've noticed it tends to hang/freeze/stop working on exports with no visible indication that something went wrong. This is most likely an Adobe issue which I hope will eventually get solved. (LOL. I can dream, right?) I force quit Media Encoder and then it refuses to launch, it bounces in the dock for a while and gives up. So I tell my Mac Studio to reboot. It shuts down all the apps, my monitors go dark, and then it just sits there. The power indicator stays lit. Nothing happens. I leave it for a few minutes, nothing changes. Usually after 30 seconds, I just hold the power button down until it shuts off and power it back up. There's no errors, warnings, nothing. And everything seems to work until Adobe crashes on me next time.

Has anyone else run into issues where the Mac Studio won't reboot or shut down? Are there logs I should/could be checking after these events so I can maybe see what's going on, or send crash info to Apple/Adobe?

A few of the times this has happened I've noticed that the system is using swap memory before/during a crash. (I have the M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, so it's rare that the system *needs* swap. though I do think AME has some sort of memory issue because I've occasionally seen it eating up HUGE amounts of RAM, even when it's not exporting.)

Thoughts?

hedkase

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2022
I do a lot of exporting with Adobe Media Encoder and I've noticed it tends to hang/freeze/stop working on exports with no visible indication that something went wrong. This is most likely an Adobe issue which I hope will eventually get solved. (LOL. I can dream, right?) I force quit Media Encoder and then it refuses to launch, it bounces in the dock for a while and gives up. So I tell my Mac Studio to reboot. It shuts down all the apps, my monitors go dark, and then it just sits there. The power indicator stays lit. Nothing happens. I leave it for a few minutes, nothing changes. Usually after 30 seconds, I just hold the power button down until it shuts off and power it back up. There's no errors, warnings, nothing. And everything seems to work until Adobe crashes on me next time.

Has anyone else run into issues where the Mac Studio won't reboot or shut down? Are there logs I should/could be checking after these events so I can maybe see what's going on, or send crash info to Apple/Adobe?

A few of the times this has happened I've noticed that the system is using swap memory before/during a crash. (I have the M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, so it's rare that the system *needs* swap. though I do think AME has some sort of memory issue because I've occasionally seen it eating up HUGE amounts of RAM, even when it's not exporting.)

Thoughts?
I have the same issue when doing some heavy encoding in Handbrake. Did you figure out a solution?

I'm running a Mac Studio Ultra with 128GB of RAM. I don't think the bottleneck is there.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Are you using the Apple Silicon version of Adobe? If you migrated your old system to the Mac Studio, it is not enough to update Adobe, you literally have to uninstall and reinstall the entire suite.

mrbobdobolina

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I have the same issue when doing some heavy encoding in Handbrake. Did you figure out a solution?

I'm running a Mac Studio Ultra with 128GB of RAM. I don't think the bottleneck is there.
I haven't had it happen in a month or two now, so I don't know if there was a software update which fixed it or something else but it seems to be working now.

Are you using the Apple Silicon version of Adobe? If you migrated your old system to the Mac Studio, it is not enough to update Adobe, you literally have to uninstall and reinstall the entire suite.
I am using the Apple Silicon versions. I did a fresh setup and install, didn't migrate anything over. (Except for the apps that didn't have a native version yet, like Bridge.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.