Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I bought M2 Max Mac Studio 38 Core 64GB Ram 1TB SSD ... There is intermittent coil whine ... not related to fan, I have tried changed fan speed. The high pitched whine is independent of fan speed. It is not related to CPU or GPU loads, it just come and go every few sec. It not loud at all but I put the unit on the desk and I can hear it. So I exchanged new unit with same spec and will have the same whine sound, intermittent.
this is the recording ... from where I am sitting I can't hear any fan noise, only high pitched sound can be heard. I want to know any M2 users have similar sound from their unit?
To be honest, I don't hear high pitched coil whine in this video.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
My M1 is also silent, but he is complaining about an M2 ... Maybe different fan ware?
;JOOP!

Who's complaining? The video? I read in this forum that M2 Max fans are even more silent than M1 Max and run at 1100 rpm instead of 1300. Even Apple states in their documents that M2 Max is more silent. Can't say anything about coil whine. Hard to hear in that video even at max volume. Sounds just like background noise.

JayTylerSKL

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
I don't hear any high pitched sound.
Are you sure it's the M.Studio itself?
;JOOP!
you have to up the volume ... the high pitched noise start from 4sec to 23sec ... it is just enough noticeable if I am using Mac without playing any audio

JayTylerSKL

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
I hear louder background bass noise like a fan, but not a high pitch whine.
if you r talking about my video ... you have to up the volume ... start from 4sec till 23sec ... fan noise is only there because I put my phone very near to Mac Studio, other than that fan noise is totally silent. Only high pitched sound like cricket can be heard while I am using.

JayTylerSKL

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
To be honest, I don't hear high pitched coil whine in this video.
You will have to up your volume, there is a faint high pitched sound kicking in at 4sec last until 23sec. No sure my ear is super sensitive to that frequency, I can hear every time the whine kicks in and goes off while using it.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You will have to up your volume, there is a faint high pitched sound kicking in at 4sec last until 23sec. No sure my ear is super sensitive to that frequency, I can hear every time the whine kicks in and goes off while using it.
I think the issue here is age. With age people lose their ability to hear higher frequencies. I think that’s why some people say it’s totally silent while others say it’s terrible. I’ve been told that CRT televisions make a really high pitch whine that drive younger people crazy but I can’t hear anything 🤷‍♂️🤣

Reactions: Mac Hammer Fan

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I did turn up the volume but I can’t here the high pitched sound, probably because I am too old. ;)

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Just got an M1 Max (4 days). Super quiet and no whine. This is replacing a trash can than seemed a little louder (but was also never a problem).

Reactions: designerdave72

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I think the issue here is age. With age people lose their ability to hear higher frequencies. I think that’s why some people say it’s totally silent while others say it’s terrible.
2.4 kHz is hardly high frequency.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
2.4 kHz is hardly high frequency.

If your Mac is sounding anything like the YouTube videos you linked, please take it back to the Apple store for a full refund. I’m sure they won’t even question the return 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
If your Mac is sounding anything like the YouTube videos you linked, please take it back to the Apple store for a full refund. I’m sure they won’t even question the return 🤣🤦‍♂️🤣🤣
:D
Not suggesting it sounds as loud as that, I'm just giving a sample of a tone at the approximate frequency that it's been claimed the Studio makes to demonstrate that it's not especially high. If someone can't hear those frequencies, I'm sure they'll already know about it.

Reactions: russell_314

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
:D
Not suggesting it sounds as loud as that, I'm just giving a sample of a tone at the approximate frequency that it's been claimed the Studio makes to demonstrate that it's not especially high. If someone can't hear those frequencies, I'm sure they'll already know about it.
Oh, I hear those loud and clear but can't hear the whine in the previous video. :)

nosajgames

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
New York NY
I have the base M2 Max and I hear the noise if I leave my Studio on for a couple of days. No change to performance but it does not bother me as much to be honest. Apple care+ for 3 years so I will take advantage of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.