Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levelupjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
I'm having some interesting issues with the Mac Studio M1 I purchased earlier this year. The Mac Studio is an application server for a dental office. There is no keyboard, mouse or monitor connected. Was running MacOS 13.1 then upgraded to 13.3.1.

Issue: Every 3-7 days, the Mac Studio goes offline in our remote management system. When this occurs, we can still ping the device by IP address from within the network but our dental application fails to connect and as well as our remote connection tools. What I notice is when I connect to the Mac Studio through the network by trying to access a file share, I'll lose pings from about 5 seconds, pings come back and everything is functional again. The uptime is doesn't indicate it was offline, the dental application works and my remote management system shows it is online and I can connect to it.

I moved the Mac Studio to a different location and the same issue occurred, eliminating any physical networking issues. Next, I connected a monitor, keyboard and mouse to test. With this setup, I had 14 days of good connectivity. Once I remove the extra peripherals, the issue occurs again.

Question: Does the Mac Studio require a monitor, keyboard and mouse to function properly? Anyone else have this issue? Applecare is useless.

levelupjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Is Sleep enabled? Do you Wake for network access?
I would disable sleep. The system "sips" power.

I have disabled sleep, screen saver and putting hard disks to sleep already. Note, screensaver still activates when idle. Am I missing anything else?

Attachments

• 2023-06-08_06h12_10.png
    2023-06-08_06h12_10.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2023-06-08_06h13_54.png
    2023-06-08_06h13_54.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2023-06-08_06h11_39.png
    2023-06-08_06h11_39.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 61

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
The first thing Apple Support will say is "Update to 3.4".

You may also try toggling file sharing off and then back on to see if that works. Maybe with a reboot between those steps. I've seen a couple of issues where various settings weren't behaving themselves properly until I did that.

Last edited:

levelupjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
Yes, that is what they said when I was on 13.1, to upgrade to 13.3.1, which didn't fix it. Any ideas?

levelupjimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
I found a possible fix here: Apple still hasn't fixed macOS Ventura's network bug. Check the reply from macmaverickk.

Further details: SMB File Share Not Working In MacOS Ventura [Fix]
Well, the connectivity issue occred today, 6/9/2023. Last occurence was 6/6/23 and 6/1/23. Applying the suggestion from macmaverickk now and will keep you posted.

Would not having a keyboard, mouse, and monitor cause this issue? When they were connected at a desk, there was no issue.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
If that doesn't work, you can always try:
  1. Enter the following command in the Terminal: caffeinate -d
Then don't close the Terminal window.

Reactions: osplo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.