Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
286
4
Hey everyone. I'm planning to upgrade my iMac 27" 2020 (intel) to a Mac Studio.

I recently purchased a Mac Studio (not-opened) for a killer deal from Costco - it's the base model (M1 Max/10/24/32GB RAM/512GB), but I got it for $2k CAD (about $1500 USD).

I know Apple just announced their new Mac Studio, but that's coming in at a price of $2.7k ($1999 USD). Is it worth $700 for the new m2 chip? The only other incentive for me is that I wanted a 1TB internal drive and could upgrade that on the 2023 Mac Studio since the one from Costco had no configurable features/options.

I'm going to be doing more Live Streaming for webinars/workshops - that'll be my primary use for it. My iMac hasn't been able to handle it as well as I'd like. I do some design work, but nothing intense - it's just for my business and video editing from time to time (1080p, not 4k).

Thanks for the thoughts.
 
Last edited:

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
132
107
I bought a Max 10/32 64gb 1tb in November coming from a 2014 maxed out 27" iMac but if I had that choice now, I would go for the 12/38 option with 96gb ram and 1tb. For only '25% faster' I'm not bothered about ditching my M1 although it would have been nice to have had 96gb ram and not 64gb. Whatever you decide, think about the next few years and good luck with your purchase!
 

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
28,583
12,693
Didn't you know that the m2 version release was imminent...?

Having said that, I've purposely bought "the just-discontinued version" after the newer version was released. In my case, it was a 2015 MacBook Pro v. the 2016 (with the butterfly keyboard). I choose the 2015 -- probably the wisest computer-buying decision I ever made.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mr_jomo

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
286
4
Didn't you know that the m2 version release was imminent...?

Having said that, I've purposely bought "the just-discontinued version" after the newer version was released. In my case, it was a 2015 MacBook Pro v. the 2016 (with the butterfly keyboard). I choose the 2015 -- probably the wisest computer-buying decision I ever made.
It was imminent, but not confirmed for this year. I can always return it, so I bought it as a 'just in case'.
 

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
286
4
I bought a Max 10/32 64gb 1tb in November coming from a 2014 maxed out 27" iMac but if I had that choice now, I would go for the 12/38 option with 96gb ram and 1tb. For only '25% faster' I'm not bothered about ditching my M1 although it would have been nice to have had 96gb ram and not 64gb. Whatever you decide, think about the next few years and good luck with your purchase!
Thanks.. maybe I should open it up and it serves my needs, no need to change anything... :)
 

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
2,497
1,616
just use it.
after year, upgrade to second hand m2 studio if you wish so
 

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
4,077
5,870
Its not just $700 its more because of the tax.

Honestly, your described case sounds like even M2 Pro mini would be fine.

I don't see a reason why you would blow another $800+ for little advantage. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Also, it was rumoured so much that I would question why did you buy it in the first place and not just wait and see. Maybe you could get even further discount on it.

Hey everyone. I'm planning to upgrade my iMac 27" 2020 (intel) to a Mac Studio.

I recently purchased a Mac Studio (not-opened) for a killer deal from Costco - it's the base model (M1 Max/10/24/32GB RAM/512GB), but I got it for $2k CAD (about $1500 USD).

I know Apple just announced their new Mac Studio, but that's coming in at a price of $2.7k ($1999 USD). Is it worth $700 for the new m2 chip? The only other incentive for me is that I wanted a 1TB internal drive and could upgrade that on the 2023 Mac Studio since the one from Costco had no configurable features/options.

I'm going to be doing more Live Streaming for webinars/workshops - that'll be my primary use for it. My iMac hasn't been able to handle it as well as I'd like. I do some design work, but nothing intense - it's just for my business and video editing from time to time (1080p, not 4k).

Thanks for the thoughts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dgdosen

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
3,155
3,503
Meh entirely depends on your needs, but the M1 Studio is now cheaper on sale or refurb.
 

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
976
892
M1 Studio is the best computer I've ever owned. You (like me) bought the base so you don't likely need a bunch of power. Unless the HDMI upgrade is meaningful to you, I'd just use it. I have zero interest in updating mine. My guess is I will own it for six or seven more years.
 

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
596
768
im over here editing 6k footage on multiple video streams and the M1 MBP only uses 22% of power to process this. Not sure how people are maxing out any of these machines. would any of you really see a performance difference between an M1 and M2 Studio?
 

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
4,077
5,870
I love how most people think its all about video editing only. :-D

im over here editing 6k footage on multiple video streams and the M1 MBP only uses 22% of power to process this. Not sure how people are maxing out any of these machines. would any of you really see a performance difference between an M1 and M2 Studio?
 

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
140
55
It seems to be getting harder to find M1 Mac Studios, so the question may soon be moot.
 

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
1,265
468
The CPU of the M2 is only 13% faster, the GPU is better. If your work is most CPU related, go for the M1. If you need faster graphics, buy the M2.
 
  • Like
Reactions: soleblaze

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
484
835
m2 Mac Studio has HDMI 2.1 and let you do 4k @240Hz.

I personally would go with m2 to have 5k @120hz on my LG 42 OLED
 

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
5,939
1,853
Hey everyone. I'm planning to upgrade my iMac 27" 2020 (intel) to a Mac Studio.

I recently purchased a Mac Studio (not-opened) for a killer deal from Costco - it's the base model (M1 Max/10/24/32GB RAM/512GB), but I got it for $2k CAD (about $1500 USD).

I know Apple just announced their new Mac Studio, but that's coming in at a price of $2.7k ($1999 USD). Is it worth $700 for the new m2 chip? The only other incentive for me is that I wanted a 1TB internal drive and could upgrade that on the 2023 Mac Studio since the one from Costco had no configurable features/options.

I'm going to be doing more Live Streaming for webinars/workshops - that'll be my primary use for it. My iMac hasn't been able to handle it as well as I'd like. I do some design work, but nothing intense - it's just for my business and video editing from time to time (1080p, not 4k).

Thanks for the thoughts.
You gain HDMI 2.1, a GPU that is comparable to 32 core M1 Max's GPU, in performance, and 2 additional CPU cores, and higher clocks on the CPU. M2 is surprisingly good upgrade over M1 considering they are made on the same process, but It really depends on your needs.

Looking at your needs - you may not need M2 Max, and you may just stick to M1 Max Mac Studio.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.