Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
What iMac did you get?

The M1 iMacs are pretty nice, but I was thinking maybe the M2 version will be out later this year. Plus I like having 32 gigs of Ram, which you can't with the current iMac.

24" m1 with 16GB of ram 512 Ssd. I had a 2019 27" i9 iMac w/40GB of ram and a Vega gpu. Pretty much top of the line. After about a year, when I would stress the system it would just turn off. At first it was once in a while, then it was once a week and then it became constant. I brought it in to Apple and of course they could not duplicate the problem. They did give me a nice trade in for the old machine and I have been very happy with the iMac. I use light room and photoshop and it feels the same as far as speed. I don't mind the smaller screen at all, sometimes the 27" was too big.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
24" m1 with 16GB of ram 512 Ssd. I had a 2019 27" i9 iMac w/40GB of ram and a Vega gpu. Pretty much top of the line. After about a year, when I would stress the system it would just turn off. At first it was once in a while, then it was once a week and then it became constant. I brought it in to Apple and of course they could not duplicate the problem. They did give me a nice trade in for the old machine and I have been very happy with the iMac. I use light room and photoshop and it feels the same as far as speed. I don't mind the smaller screen at all, sometimes the 27" was too big.

So how you liking it so far?

Being that I am just an average computer user, I don't to any development, video or audio stuff, I am thinking the M1 iMac might be a better option since you don't have to worry about monitor issues being that it has a monitor built in.

I think the regular M1 would be powerful enough for me and with my basic computer usage I don't think I would be taking it to it's limits. Although I would prefer to have 32 gig of RAM. That's how much I have on my PC and I like having the extra headroom.

My only issue, is whether Apple might do an M2 refresh for the iMac later this year. I know everyone has their opinions on when a refresh might come, and it's anyone's guess when it would happen.

I am curious what Apple's trade-in values would be if I got an M1 iMac and traded it in down the road for an M2 variant whenever that comes out.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
So how you liking it so far?

Being that I am just an average computer user, I don't to any development, video or audio stuff, I am thinking the M1 iMac might be a better option since you don't have to worry about monitor issues being that it has a monitor built in.

I think the regular M1 would be powerful enough for me and with my basic computer usage I don't think I would be taking it to it's limits. Although I would prefer to have 32 gig of RAM. That's how much I have on my PC and I like having the extra headroom.

My only issue, is whether Apple might do an M2 refresh for the iMac later this year. I know everyone has their opinions on when a refresh might come, and it's anyone's guess when it would happen.

I am curious what Apple's trade-in values would be if I got an M1 iMac and traded it in down the road for an M2 variant whenever that comes out.
Over all I'm happy. I was not planning to go with another all in one. I really wanted a separate monitor and CPU. But with the drama of using non apple displays at the time of purchase I made the right choice at the time. I too wish I had more ram but I think that is just something that's stuck in my head. The M1 family uses ram different than I am used to. I don't really see and slowdowns that I notice. But I don't sit there and time my tasks. I would recommend this machine to other Mac users. That's not to say when the m2's come out I may be jumping on that bandwagon.

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
Flickering happened on my benq sw271 with hdmi on my base ultra MS so I got a usbc tb4 cable n see how that goes.
any update? did it solve the problem? am also having the same issue on my mac studio its connected with a benqPD2700U 4k montior and its connected via hdmi

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
I ended up taking mine back, they were super helpful and very surprised that I had any issues with it.

I also had the high pitched whine issue and offered to play a recording, but they said they believed me and straight up gave me a refund on the spot. Can't fault them at all.

I got a new one the next day from somewhere else and it's been fantastic so far. Awesome machine.

1 x PD2700U in HDMI and 1 x PD2700U into Displayport.

Reactions: GlenK and kindof665

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
Yeah I'm getting the same flickering issues. Also a little bit of ghosting / image retention.

Fine all day then acted up a bit last night for a few minutes.

Only flickered on one display, not both.

2 x 4K BenQ PD2700U displays plugged in Thunderbolt to Displayport.

Have changed DP 1.1 - 1.4 settings, have changed display settings from 'BenQ 2700' to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and now on Display P3. All at 60hz.

Currently in HDR mode all day today to see if anything is any better. If it starts flickering in this mode I'll swap the cables between monitors.

I had a 16gb Mini that I returned after 2 days because of this, it was even worse and more constant than this.

My Mac Studio M1 Max has just replaced my Mac Pro 5.1 (with RX580), which never had any issues.

So it seems like an M1 issue / software thing? I would have thought running 2 displays would be no issue for the Max..

This machine is literally 5 days old... dunno whether to take it back for a refund or get AppleCare and hope they fixed something in software updates soon.

Such a pain :( 2 grand and it still flickers a bit :(
Hey there i got my mac studio on 19th and same Benq PD2700U on 22nd of april and even i am having the same flickering issue. Going through this whole forum i am a bit concerned as to what should i do now seems like ppl are having problems with no fix in sight. Whats the update did u return it or the flickering got fixed by cahnging to different type of cable and all??? pls let me know. thanks

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Nah, got a refund of the Mac Studio from Apple.
Bought a new one the next day from somewhere else.

Still running 2 x PD2700U.

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
I ended up taking mine back, they were super helpful and very surprised that I had any issues with it.

I also had the high pitched whine issue and offered to play a recording, but they said they believed me and straight up gave me a refund on the spot. Can't fault them at all.

I got a new one the next day from somewhere else and it's been fantastic so far. Awesome machine.

1 x PD2700U in HDMI and 1 x PD2700U into Displayport.
so you got a new mac studio again and thats working fine? coz mine is still in 14 days and can go for a replacement!

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
Nah, got a refund of the Mac Studio from Apple.
Bought a new one the next day from somewhere else.

Still running 2 x PD2700U.
pls can you let me know if DDC/CI under your system menu of monitor is turned on or off? coz someone in the forums had wrote that turning that off can also fix the issue!

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
thanks for the quick reply man. So what do you suggest go for the replacement? i have no option of refund only replacement from apple so cant really go for refund and then go by it from some place else. Btw did you change the cables like 3rd party or you are using the ones that came in the box? coz apple support told me that my new cables could be defective too. Although i doubt that still would be good to know what you did as we both have very similar setups

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
ON on both monitors. No issues so far.
awesome. Sorry to ask so many questions but like how long have you been using the new replaced unit of mac studio for? i have also seen ppl say that it happens when dark mode is on specifically so have you tried with dark mode too? thanks for the help

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
thanks for the quick reply man. So what do you suggest go for the replacement? i have no option of refund only replacement from apple so cant really go for refund and then go by it from some place else. Btw did you change the cables like 3rd party or you are using the ones that came in the box? coz apple support told me that my new cables could be defective too. Although i doubt that still would be good to know what you did as we both have very similar setups
I would get a replacement, as my new one is fine....

Using 3rd party cables absolutely fine. 1x HDMI lead and one USB-C to Displayport.

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
awesome. Sorry to ask so many questions but like how long have you been using the new replaced unit of mac studio for? i have also seen ppl say that it happens when dark mode is on specifically so have you tried with dark mode too? thanks for the help

Had my new one since 9th April. Been using all day everyday. All good so far.

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
I would get a replacement, as my new one is fine....

Using 3rd party cables absolutely fine. 1x HDMI lead and one USB-C to Displayport.
Great will ask them for a replacement then and i just meant to ask like are you using 3rd party cable or what came in the box with benq monitors?

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Great will ask them for a replacement then and i just meant to ask like are you using 3rd party cable or what came in the box with benq monitors?
There is no USB-C cable that came with my Benq.. so 3rd party one from Amazon.. Same with HDMI.

kindof665

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2022
I use dark mode all day. No issues.

My last one seemed to flicker a bit using Night Shift, but I haven't bothered using it on this new one.
Great man . Hey if possible send a pic of setup would love to see it . if you dont mind

stingraybass

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
thats comforting to know. Hopefully my issue gets resolved with a replacement too

It's possible they might just refund you even though you are over 14 days.. especially if they no replacement stock.

The waiting time is long, so I was lucky to get a refund and then just ordered one the next day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.