Mac Superdrive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by c5vetter, Jun 27, 2013.

1. c5vetter macrumors newbie

Okay, first newb with iMAC question. Have been running Ubuntu on PC for number of years, and bid on auction for iMAC in support of St Jude's Hospital and ended up winning the auction. Still have not received it, but can't wait!

Now, to my question, as I understand it the iMAC does NOT come with a drive. So, will the SUPERDRIVE work with the iMAC? Some folks have said YES and others NO. Want definitive answer before I order.

Oh, and second question, what do folks use in the way of USB expansion? I know the iMAC that I won, uses USB 3.0 and the four slots are NOT easily accessible.

2. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Assuming you mean the external USB Superdrive, absolutely will work with the iMac. That's exactly what it's designed for, to give machines without an external drive dvd capabilities.

You could also get pretty much any external dvd/blu-ray drive.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

the apple superdrive should definitely work with the imac. (the 2012 model doesnt have a superdrive built in, but the 2011 and earliers do). And the USB slots are behind the mac, so it would be like blindly reaching behind your monitor to plug one in. But you shouldnt have a problem angleing your computer to see behind it and plug something in

4. simsaladimbamba

I cannot verify, if the SuperDrive really works, but Apple states here, that it is compatible with the late 2012 iMac.
    But you could also use just any other external optical disk drive (ODD) if you want to save 40 € or USD.

As for USB expansion, many use USB hubs.

5. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

While a superdrive will work, I wouldn't recommend it. There are better third party drives out there that have faster read/write times.