Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
ok, i have imap gmail on my imac, i accidently deleted some messages on my imac, so they got deleted online, i got my messages back on my imac, but not back online :(, so basically, some of my messages are depended on my imac, so if the HD breaks (dont use time machine yet, i use leopard though), i lose 2000+ messages, if i use .mac sync to sync my email, will it just import my preferences, and downloading my email from online where i dont have all my messages, or bring the messages from my imac to the computer that i intend to buy on Jan 15, im planning on a laptop, but i am afraid that there will be a better laptop coming out at macworld that will be a better choice, so im waiting. i know i can access my imac via the laptop, but if i want to drag a whole 5gig music folder from my imac to the laptop, how long would that take, like dragging it from my music folder to my desktop, or uploading 5 gigs to the internet??? how about idisk, can i put files there, and take them out on the laptop? which would save time? i am a sub-account in a family pack, do i get 10 gigs on idisk, or that 2.5 gig thing? and will i get everything that an administrator gets if i max out my account, other than being able to administer it? thanx a lot!!!!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ok, i have imap gmail on my imac, i accidently deleted some messages on my imac, so they got deleted online, i got my messages back on my imac, but not back online :(, so basically, some of my messages are depended on my imac, so if the HD breaks (dont use time machine yet, i use leopard though), i lose 2000+ messages, if i use .mac sync to sync my email, will it just import my preferences, and downloading my email from online where i dont have all my messages, or bring the messages from my imac to the computer that i intend to buy on Jan 15, im planning on a laptop, but i am afraid that there will be a better laptop coming out at macworld that will be a better choice, so im waiting. i know i can access my imac via the laptop, but if i want to drag a whole 5gig music folder from my imac to the laptop, how long would that take, like dragging it from my music folder to my desktop, or uploading 5 gigs to the internet??? how about idisk, can i put files there, and take them out on the laptop? which would save time? i am a sub-account in a family pack, do i get 10 gigs on idisk, or that 2.5 gig thing? and will i get everything that an administrator gets if i max out my account, other than being able to administer it? thanx a lot!!!!!
.Mac Sync is totally unrelated to GMail, so using it can't help with your message problem. Copying the music folder from your iMac to your laptop would be in between the two cases you mentioned, but closer to copying to your desktop (assuming both are on the same network). Yes, you can use your iDisk to transfer files in this way - it works pretty well, though it is rather slow. I suspect you'll only get a portion of the space a full account gets on iDisk, since your account is a family pack sub-account, though I don't know exactly how much. I'm not sure what you mean in your last question - are you referring to an account on your computer, or elsewhere?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
.Mac Sync is totally unrelated to GMail, so using it can't help with your message problem. Copying the music folder from your iMac to your laptop would be in between the two cases you mentioned, but closer to copying to your desktop (assuming both are on the same network). Yes, you can use your iDisk to transfer files in this way - it works pretty well, though it is rather slow. I suspect you'll only get a portion of the space a full account gets on iDisk, since your account is a family pack sub-account, though I don't know exactly how much. I'm not sure what you mean in your last question - are you referring to an account on your computer, or elsewhere?

no, my mail question is, when i do the .mac sync, will it sync and bring the messages from my imac, and settings, or will it just put the account info and stuff on my laptop, and download it? forget about gmail right now ;). so idisk is slower than just dragging it from my computer to the laptop? and it is like dragging it from desktop to folder if you are on the same network? what if you are not? more like uploading 5 gigs (in this case) to the internet? i believe its 2.5 gigs according to what i see. and the last question, for instance, administrator gets everything from 10 gigs idisk storage, to the ability from canceling, and controlling EVERYTHING, but apart from that, excluding the 10 gigs as well for idisk, can i make my sub account equal to a normal account, again, excluding the fact that i wont get 10 gigs, just 2.5, and being able to administer everything. again, thanx!!!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
no, my mail question is, when i do the .mac sync, will it sync and bring the messages from my imac, and settings, or will it just put the account info and stuff on my laptop, and download it? forget about gmail right now ;). so idisk is slower than just dragging it from my computer to the laptop? and it is like dragging it from desktop to folder if you are on the same network? what if you are not? more like uploading 5 gigs (in this case) to the internet? i believe its 2.5 gigs according to what i see.
No. .Mac sync copies only your settings, accounts, and smart mailboxes. Messages stored locally on your Mac are NOT copied.
Yes, iDisk is slower than dragging the file to a folder on your computer. If the two computers are on different networks, then it will be more like uploading 5 GB of data to the Internet, yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.