Mac system to go for and ideal configuration query

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RKL, Jul 20, 2015.

1. RKL macrumors newbie

Which Macbook / iMac / Mac Pro should I go for in my general use of - a few tabs of excel, a few tabs of word, a few tabs of Adobe PDF, some tabs of web browser, Microsoft office 365 Outlook with .pst files amounting to about 400 gb. A good configuration is what I am looking for.

Presently using Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with 32 GB RAM, Intel Core - i7-3940 XM CPU @3.00 GHz - 3.20 GHz.

Can I manage with a new MacBook air 13 inch maxed out as my primary system and connect two 27 inch external displays?

I intend to get rid of this thinkpad and switch over to Apple.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Any reason for the swap?? That looks about perfect as a profesional machine for that workload, I'd just stick an SSD in what you have.

I personally dislike windows intensely but all of that is windows software really and that looks like a good rig to run almost anything.

If you really do want to swap (all that software will run on OSX as well but you'll need mac versions of office and adobe) I would reccomend the 15 inch for the quad core processors....

3. RKL thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Samuelsan2001,

My main reason for swap is the weight that i am lugging around everyday. I was wondering if the MacBook air 13 inch maxed out or the MacBook Pro 13 inch maxed out will be able to handle the job - so i can reduce the weight. I am normally working with two external monitors connected to my present Lenovo Thinkpad W530 and I intend to connect external monitors to MacBook air or Mac Book Pro too.
    Sorry that i forgot to add my present configuration of Lenovo is with SSD - a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB.

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

If you go with the 13" Air or rMBP, you will lose half the power of your current machine.
    Plus the maxed out Air and 13" rMBP are terrible values.

If you want to switch then go with the maxed out 15".

5. RKL thread starter macrumors newbie

z31fanatic - thanks for the suggestion and inputs.
    how about your kind expert suggestion by revisiting the configuration to see if i do indeed need the power of a thinkpad / MacBook 15"?
    Consider this - programs used generally on a day to day basis: -
    (1) Outlook - by Office online - with considerable *.OST files of about 25 GB and *.PST files of a total of about 400 GB;
    (2) Presently on windows, i am using Neo Pro for email management in conjunction with MS Outlook - this program has no support for Mac;
    (3) X1 search for windows - which is having no support for Mac;
    (4) MS Word - some one or two tabs at any given time simultaneously with above programs running;
    (5) MS Excel - some one or two tabs at any given time simultaneously with above programs running;
    (6) MS Power Point - some one or two tabs at any given time simultaneously with above programs running;
    (7) Internet browsers - some one or two tabs at any given time simultaneously with above programs running;

Does the above justify Thinkpad / maxed out mac 15"?
    Or can MBA 13" / rMBP 13" suffice and do the job that i am doing.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think the 13 inch could handle it but there is a lot of stuff there not supported in OSX.

If all you want is a thin light powerful desktop replacement, then why not a razer blade 14 or an HP envy??

I'm not saying don't buy a macbook (I love them and wouldn't want anything else) but if you are going to spend your whole time in windows then there are just as good windows options out there.

If you still want a macbook then go for the 13 inch rMBP, max out the ram and get the SSD size you need (don't worry too much about the i7 it makes little difference).

Remember that apple will take back any computer in the first 14 days if you buy it from them, I'd try one out for a week or so and return it for a windows laptop if it doesn't work out.

7. RKL thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Samuelsan2001,
    That was indeed a very helpful advise.
    I will study this further and see i can lay my hands on an apple rMBP 13" for trial of about 7 days. That should give me an idea of what i can get out of it.

thanks and much appreciated.