Mac takes about 10 seconds to sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chipandegg, Mar 25, 2010.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

Recently my Mac takes about 10 seconds to get to sleep.

I press sleep, and its a good 10 to 15 secs before it actually goes in sleep mode.

It has no trouble waking up, often straight away as soon as I press a key or move the mouse.

The Mac works fine and there has been nothing wrong with it.

If anybody has any idea why this, please say.

Thanks

2. belvdr macrumors 603

What's the normal sleep time for your Mac? Mine takes a bit longer too, as I have a few agents running at all times.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine takes about that long as well. I don't time it nor am I concerned as I figured its doing some "house keeping" stuff as it enters into sleep mode.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The going to sleep time also is dependent on what Mac you have.

If you have any of the x86 (Intel) Mac notebooks or the late versions of the PowerBook, Mac OS X writes the content of the RAM to the HDD (sleepimage) in case the power or battery goes out, so that all is safely stored away.
    The next time you boot after the power failure, Mac OS X restores its state from that sleepimage and all is as it was just before the Mac went to sleep.

You can disable this feature via the Terminal or a nice little System Preference add-on called SmartSleep.

I have it installed on my two x86 notebooks and 90 out of 100 times it goes fast asleep in less than two seconds.

But if you don't have any notebook the longer time to go to sleep might be dependent on some background process. Monitor the processes in Activity Monitor when you select Sleep and maybe discover what the culprit is.

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Thanks for the recommendation. This is a neat idea.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I guess mine was set to sleep by default. If I click on sleep, my screen goes dark right after I hear the click. Meanwhile on my groggy clueless XP laptop at the office, I have time to click start->shut down->suspend a half dozen times before the machine finally stops having an epileptic siezure and puts up "preparing to stand by..." which signals I'm only 90-180 seconds away from sleep. :rolleyes:

Nothing helps me appreciate OS X better than having to use Windows at the office. I found that on my netbook, Ubuntu would fail to go to sleep from time to time. I upgraded to 9.04 and it is working properly now though still not nearly as fast as OS X for actually making it to sleep and awake again.