Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightladyhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Hello,
I am looking to make a mac tech drive with 10.4-10.10 instal and recovery partitions. What I mean by recovery partitions is that I would be able to boot into those partitions to look at the persons computer. I would also like to make an applications and support partition with the remaining space on the external Hard drive.

I am wondering how I go about installing them on the drive and how much space I should leave for each OS. I have all the OS's. I have a 500GB HD but I don't mind buying a 1TB drive. I would like to leave a good amount of extra space for the applications and support.

Also if anyone has any good recommendations on applications that can see what is installed on the HD. I know there is a good app out there but I forgot the name. also if there is a good app to help take duplicated information off the computer. Would Disk warrior help with that?

Thank you in advance!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hello,
I am looking to make a mac tech drive with 10.4-10.10 instal and recovery partitions. What I mean by recovery partitions is that I would be able to boot into those partitions to look at the persons computer. I would also like to make an applications and support partition with the remaining space on the external Hard drive.

I am wondering how I go about installing them on the drive and how much space I should leave for each OS. I have all the OS's. I have a 500GB HD but I don't mind buying a 1TB drive. I would like to leave a good amount of extra space for the applications and support.

Also if anyone has any good recommendations on applications that can see what is installed on the HD. I know there is a good app out there but I forgot the name. also if there is a good app to help take duplicated information off the computer. Would Disk warrior help with that?

Thank you in advance!

First of all you don't need recovery partitions. For 10.4 - 10.6 you only need bootable partitions with the contents of the install DVDs on them. For 10.7 - 10.10, you can make a bootable install partition by downloading "Install OSX 10.whatever.app" from the app store and following instructions for that particular version of OSX. You will need about 5GB of space for each of the newer versions of OSX so you could easily fit all of this on a 64 GB usb stick with 7 bootable OSX partitions of 6 about 6 GB each. Of course if you walk up to an old PPC based Mac you aren't going to have success booting from a USB stick but this stick should be useful on any Intel Mac that is capable of running the version of OSX you are attempting to install.

There are limitations to this approach. For instance, I expect the DVD installers for 10.4 and 10.5 to "just work" on hardware old enough to run those versions, but the "upgrade" 10.6 DVD installer and the newer app-based installers might not like installing to a blank partition. I've got a drawer in my office with half a dozen USB sticks rolling around with various flavors of developer preview and other versions of OSX and I haven't had trouble installing with any of them onto an internal or an external HDD partition. In fact

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.