Mac the Ripper Error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmoo53, Apr 19, 2007.

1. jmoo53 macrumors newbie

I keep getting a message advising there are errors which may prevent my copy from workin g o n my dvd player when MTR finishes ripping any DVD i have tried. When i burn the copy with Popcorn 2, DVD2onex, Toast it won't play
    I have a Mac Book Pro.

Do i have to use some other software to rip dvd's macbook pro?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You might want to try the newest version of MTR, 3.0. You have to go to their site and sign up on the forums to dl it, though.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Some newer DVDs are adding forms of copy protection not in the DVD spec and not addressed by ripping software like MTR. Even the latest builds of MTR 3.0 can't copy some of these DVDs. Mostly these are Sony or Disney DVDs, I believe.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes - what Sony/Disney are doing is injecting intentionally bad sectors into certain parts of the disc. DVD Players just skip over the bad data while rippers tend to choke on it.

5. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Some newer DVD's especially those by Sony, are using zero cell protection.

The best way to backup my movies so that i can have a nice AppleTv library is:

- Open up fairmount (http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/)

- Then open Dvd2onex2 and select the DVD.
    Extract the contents to your hard drive but go into the cells area. deselect all the cells that are 0mb in size. There can also be bunk cells that range up to 50mb in size from what i've seen.. So really if a cell is under 70mb in size, uncheck those also.

- Use handbrake on your newly extracted contents.

6. jmoo53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your suggestions, i will give them a try :)