Mac the Ripper / Handbrake Noobie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tdmac, Feb 9, 2008.

1. tdmac macrumors 6502

Well I attempted my first rip of Pans Labyrinth. I ran it first in MTR. Took about 30min. I opened the Video_TS file in the DVD player to make sure it worked.

I then downloaded handbrake. I am planning on taking a trip so I wanted to see what it was like converting to Ipod- hi-res. Opened the Folder where the movie was, selected Ipod hi-res and let it go. When I came home later I double clicked the movie but the audio seems to be the directors commentary.

What did I do wrong?

What is the best way to convert in handbrake? I plan to want to watch the movies on the computer or via apple TV in the future so would want great quality also would want the ability to convert onto the ipod if need be as well.

New to Mac and rippinf DVD's so any help appreciated

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I assume you own the DVD, and you are making a personal backup for yourself...When you used handbrake, you must've not had the right audio track selected, as it was the developers track. I haven't used handbrake in a while, but try and look and see if you can use a different audio track.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's a tab called "Audio & Subtitles" which lets you select which track to use. To find out which one you want to choose you can play the movie in DVD Player, go up to Features > Audio and see which is selected.

4. tdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I forgot the movie is actually in spanish with English subtitles. I guess Handbrake just looks to choose english automatically as the default and in this case the only english is the directors commentary. I went back and choose spanish and then made sure I chose subtitles so I can watch the movie. That should do it.

One more question.

If I want the best quality, I assume I want to use Handbrake set to Normal? or Apple TV? Can you get al the features on the DVD this way or only the movie itself?

If I then want to watch the movies on Apple TV or an Ipod later then Do I have to then convert the original file in handbrake? or do you convert the file you made under the step above? THis is what I am unsure of.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when you use handbrake you dont have to use MTR first! :) handbrake has its own ripping built in. its only the newer DVD releases with better encryption that you have to use handbrake. if you find that handbrake doesnt work at first use MTR first like you did. but you really shouldnt have to use MTR. only use it before when you backup a DVD using Toast to play in a DVD player.

the best settings i find is mpeg4 at a bitrate of 2400 kb/s using H.264 encoding. this is what the movies on the iTunes store use (not the rentals though). to play on an TV or iPod choose either the TV or the iPod hi-rez or low-rez built in presets. dont convert it again youll loose all the quality.