Mac The Ripper Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lauriechelt, Jan 27, 2008.

1. lauriechelt macrumors member

This is probably going to be a total noob question but i've got some dvd's that i want to rip onto my external hard drive (some region 1 dvds i picked up in beijing and some uk region 2 discs)

Ive been trying with mac the ripper but after it's done its thing the dvd's in about 4 parts...is there any way i can put them together so it's a single film?

Cheers,

LAurie

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

When you are done, don't run the VOB files, run the whole VIDEO_TS folder.

Namely, open the DVD player, point it to the VIDEO_TS folder and press play.

3. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

you can also just drag the video_ts folder on to the apple dvd player app icon

4. lauriechelt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

I can play the full movies fine now...i ripped them on mtr then drag the vts.vob fils onto the vlc icon...but they're still in a few parts rather than one single file...is there a way to put them all together so there's one icon for the whole movie???

Not sure if i'm explaining myself very well!!!

Laurie

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As has already been explained. Drag the folder not the individual files.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

7. lauriechelt thread starter macrumors member

When i rip a dvd this is what i end up with inside the folder titled video ts...as mentioned i am aware that by dragging this entire folder onto the vlc icon i am able to get the whole film to play

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99645&stc=1&d=1201511494

However, i was wondering if it was possible to compile all the individual VTS_xx_x.VOB files so there is only one video file...like this???

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99646&stc=1&d=1201511494

I can see it says it is an avi file...so is there a program that will compress or convert the files for me? Handbrake??? If so what would i do?

Sorry if i didnt make myself clear before

Laurie

Attached Files:

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes you'd need to use handbrake to do that. You can either in Handbrake point it at the files you've ripped to compress, or just re-rip the dvd using Handbrake.

9. lauriechelt thread starter macrumors member

Nice one...i've just started to run that now and have selected it to compress it into an avi file...ten minutes remaining, i'll let you know how i get on

Cheers Laurie

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Failing that, you can drag all the files into Visualhub and there is an option in there to "stitch" all the files together and then save 1 file to whatever format you please.

11. lauriechelt thread starter macrumors member

Had to dash out for a minute but its worked perfectly, the film plays fine now as an avi file...

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=99652&stc=1&d=1201517573

One last question though, what is the best type of movie file to get handbrake to compress the vidoe_ts files into...ive got loads of avi movie files, but is there a better one...does it matter?!

Cheers Guys
    Laurie

Attached Files:

12. ragu macrumors member

ragu

Dvd mixed UP ?

I have ripped some of my collection with no problem with playback but others the final product is all mixed up (vob's do not play in correct order is this to others)? I use toast 10 Titanium to burn after the ripping.:confused:

13. a.k.smash macrumors newbie

VOB file plays in a foreign language or with directors commentary

Hi!

i have ripped many of my own DVDs (non-burnt) successfully onto my computer and converted them to Mp4 files with handbrake and had no issues. However, there are the select few movies i try to copy with Mac the Ripper (not burnt DVDs), and for some reason when i open the VOB file to play the movie, its in a foreign language, or has directors commentary playing over the movie, rendering it useless to me.

How do i fix this so the movie plays in English with no directors commentary?

14. adam.l macrumors newbie

when i ripped my dvd of inception onto my computer using mac the ripper i didnt really know waht t do from there. i have the converted file, although when i played a part of it back it was just the selection menu playing for about 20 mins and most of the other parts were dubbed in a foreign language. the dvd i have of inception i did buy in england and all that, so i dont know what the hell is going on. my mission is to get it onto my ipod classic.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T