Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southpaw17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
I ripped a dvd to my hard drive of a season of entourage episodes (they are mine). I am taking a trip and read somewhere that it is better to rip dvds so that the optical drive isn't spinning and wasting battery. The Problem is that one season (8 episodes from 2 discs) took up 12 gb. What is a program I can use to compress them. I would like to maintain good quality but they are just for me to watch on my computer, but 12 gb? is there any way to make these files smaller?

thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
There are many options. I like HandBrake for DVD conversion (it'll work with ripped DVDs).

I highly recommend trying out some settings to see what works best instead of converting the whole batch and finding out it wasn't what you thought.

You should be able to reduce those episodes substantially with little noticeable degradation.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
iSquintCompresses to iPod Formats

Assuming you'll be rip to, and watching on, a laptop, I'd go with this ine. iSquint will take a DVD and rip it to an iPod file, which would be very viewable on a laptop. And a typical 1 1/2 hour movie will compress down to about 500-600 MB.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Assuming you'll be rip to, and watching on, a laptop, I'd go with this ine. iSquint will take a DVD and rip it to an iPod file, which would be very viewable on a laptop. And a typical 1 1/2 hour movie will compress down to about 500-600 MB.

The size of the movie coming out of iSquint is tiny, its perfect for watching on an ipod, not a fullsize laptop screen. I would reccomend you use Handbrake, and set it that every episde takes about 175 or 200 megs. That paired witha two pass setting should give you a very nice video, that is not insanely huge in size.

southpaw17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
what is 2 pass encoding. i did it at 1000 bitrate but when I try to go large on my mbp cd 15 it is really grainy. should I just deal with the small screen. i am trying the next episode at 2 pass. maybe that will be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.