Mac the Ripper then iMedia Converter = crap picture quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pandabearjohnso, Aug 21, 2011.

1. pandabearjohnso macrumors member

pandabearjohnso

Super noob to this so please bear with me...
    I ripped a DVD using Mac the Ripper and then converted it to both avi and mpeg4 using iSkySoft iMedia Converter. Both files have terrible picture quality. I even specified a higher res on the avi file. (I used the trial version of iMedia Converter).

Where did I go wrong? What products do you use. I don't mind paying if I get something quality. I've seen good comments about Mac DVD Ripper Pro on this forum. Anything else?

Thanks

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

MTR will rip the DVD in full quality, so that's not the problem. To convert to MPEG4, use Handbrake. It's free (you can donate if you like) and gives excellent results. Use the presets if you don't want to mess with settings.

NOTE - you have to have the latest VLC installed, but that's free too.

3. Clark Kent macrumors member

I would also suggest converting to mp4/m4v using Handbrake after ripping with MTR.

You can do the entire ripping/encoding process in Handbrake if you want.

However...

I prefer to rip with Mac the Ripper before encoding because you can rip several discs and queue them up in Handbrake to encode when I'm away from the computer. Also it requires my superdrive (which are fragile and prone to breaking easily) to only be in use for about 20 minutes per disc rather than upwards of 2 hours during the entire encoding process.