Mac the Ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rm2092, Nov 15, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Converting movies from my hard drive, is it possible ? I did not see the option it looks like your only option is to insert a dvd only, thanks...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MacTheRipper rips the full DVD onto a folder on the hard drive -- it doesn't rip videos into a compressed format like .H264. If you already have it on your hard drive and it works there, at that point there's nothing left for MTR to do for you.

Are you thinking of Handbrake?

3. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

Ok then what can I use to burn it to watch in a standard dvd player, non Divx ?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Toast works fine to burn a Video-TS folder for a playable DVD.

If you want to compress after ripping, then you can use DVD2OneX to compress and burn a playable DVD.

Personally, I do the following to back up a DVD:
    - MTR to rip it.
    - DVD2oneX to compress it to DVD5 size.
    - Toast to burn the DVD.

This works well for me.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Same here except I let Toast's built in compressor make the DVD2oneX step unneccesary, so it is just-

-MTR (Version 3.0r14) to rip to disk
    -Toast to either burn a double layer disk with no compression or compress and burn a standard single layer disk.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This is my method as well - no need for DVD2oneX. Toast's built-in compression works well for me when I need to use it, however to be honest I usually just burn to a double layer disc to avoid having to compress - the discs are pretty cheap these days (I can get them for about 85¢ each) and since I don't burn a ton of DVDs in this manner, a spindle lasts me quite a while.

As mentioned above, if you are looking at ripping a movie to an AVI/H.264 file on your hard drive as opposed to a VIDEO_TS folder, look at Handbrake. :cool:

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hi ~Shard~!

For movies 100 minutes or longer, I think DVD2oneX does a better job than Toast. Less artifacts. Especially if you want to keep all the bonus tracks which reduces available space for the movie.

That said, Toast is fine for most movies.

On a side note, DVD2OneX does a nice job at batch processing.

Of course as you say, if you use DVD9s, you don't need to compress before burning. :)

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to know, thanks for the info sushi! Yeah, as I mentioned in my previous post, I rarely use DVD5s, so when I do Toast always seems like it does a good enough job. If I'm wanting to rip a longer movie with more features and such as you mentioned, then I'll just use a DVD9 disc. :)

9. Zman8911 macrumors newbie

MacTheRipper Audio

I feel like a n00b asking this question, but I am new to MacTheRipper.

When I rip a movie to my computer, the files that become ripped are only the Video_TS files. No Audio_TS files. Is this ok??

Also, when I put the movie onto a blank DVD, iDVD says the disk is not supported, or something like that. Please help. Thanks.

-Z

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well a large part of the problem you are experiencing is that iDVD plays no part in burning a disk using the VIDEO_TS files produced by Mac The Ripper. The method of burning a working disk with them depends on how large the VIDEO_TS folder is as determined by doing a Get Info on the folder.

If it is below 4.7Gb you can burn in several ways including just burning in the Finder, but if it is above that you need to either burn it to a double layer disk (which can handle up to 8.5Gb) or use a program like Toast or DVD2OneX to compress the video in the folder to a size that will fit on a standard DVD. Those two programs are also capable of burning the disk when they are done compressing.

Don't worry about no AUDIO_TS folder. If there is one on the original disk MTR will normally put one in the main folder of the rip- but it is usually empty anyhow.

11. helpperman101 macrumors newbie

DVD Burning help...

OK, so I have used mactheripper to rip a dvd and it saved in a VIDEO_TS folder, although the file is a .VOB. Now when I am trying to burn it using Toast 9, I try and place the file in the DVD-VIDEO burn folder which it allows me to do/ I then start the process and about midway through it stops and says that the file is too large to fit onto a 4.7gb disc, but the problem is in the DVD-VIDEO mode there is o "fit-to-dvd" option, so I am wondering how I can compress the file and then burn it using toast 9. I have also tried what many have suggested and have placed the entire VIEO_TS folder containing mymovie.VOB file and placing it in the VIDEO_TS burn file in Toast 9. But this doesn't work either because it automatically moves my .VOB file to the DVD-VIDEO burn file in toast which does not have the compress dvd option. Can someone please tell me what to do.. Do I need to convert the .VOB fie to something else, if so, how? or can I get it to compress some other way using toast 9?

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes. Look for ffmpegx, visualhub, or handbrake.

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, something is going very wrong with your Mac The Ripper rip if it winds up with a file called mymovie.VOB (or any single file), that is for sure! :eek: To see what you should have when MTR is done, just open the original disk, then open its VIDEO_TS folder and you will see that it consists of a large number of files with .BUP, .IFO and .VOB suffixes. Your ripped copy should contain a virtually identical set of files, not just one .VOB file! I just checked one ripped VIDEO_TS folder and it had a total of 59 files for example.

I have been using MTR for about 4 years and it has never failed to create the correct complete fileset as noted above, so we need to figure out what the heck is going on there first, as the normal process is to simply select "VIDEO_TS Folders" in Toast 9, drag your VIDEO_TS folder to the window it presents, select your media type of DVD or DVD_DL (for no compression) and hit burn. Simple as that, but only if your source VIDEO_TS folder has the complete fileset.

I'm very interested in what may have happened with your MTR rip, as even if you choose "Movie Only" as opposed to "Full Disk Extraction" there are still a large number of files with the extensions I mentioned above when it completes. Even if MTR is interrupted in the middle of a rip, some number of those files will show up the rip folder!

Which version of MTR are you using- and what settings might you be using???

14. helpperman101 macrumors newbie

I am using the newest version. Although, I used the Title Extraction option and chose the one with the (MF) main feature/longest time attached to it. Would that make a difference in the amount of files I got in my VIDEO_TS Folder. I am unsure why I only got one .VOB file that contained the entire movie within it. I am going to try and use the full-movie extraction and see if it takes all the files. Then hopefully place it into the VIDEO_TS folder within Toast 9 to then compress the dvd and then burn it.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

When you mention using the latest version, just to clarify do you mean the latest freeware version (2.6.6) or the latest beta version (3.0 r14m)?

Anyway, since I never use Title Extraction (I use mostly Full Disk Extraction or on occasion when Full Disk doesn't work I use Main Feature Extraction), I just did one with both 2.6.6 and 3.0r14m to test. In both cases I came out with 13 files with the three extensions of .IFO, .BUP and .VOB. I really don't know what the heck is going on with your one file to be honest! :(

I was going to suggest your other experiment too- to just try a Full Disk Extraction. Hope that works as planned- be sure to let us know!

16. DrWho macrumors newbie

DrWho

quick question to add to topic

in relation to MacTheRipper

After it finishes and I have the video_ts and audio_ts files I burn them onto a dvd using the dvd-rom udf option is this the best one or the correct way of doing it

17. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No, using the selection of "VIDEO_TS Folders" in the Video tab is what is designed for that.

18. DrWho macrumors newbie

DrWho

Sorry about this still a bit of newbie, is it too much to ask or could you kindly tell me how I should be doing it differently. And if I do it like this from now on would it stop things like the disc randomly stopping or create less errors, or at least make it play better

19. helpperman101 macrumors newbie

Well good news.. I tried to rip a different movie, and used the "full extraction mode" and sure enough all of the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS files showed up and it burnt. Thanks for the help..

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Good to hear back that it worked! I think in the future if you use "Main Feature Extraction" instead of the Title Extraction you will have more success with that as well. :)

21. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No problem- see the attached pic. Since you have VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files, you need to use the correct area of Toast for burning. Just get into the correct Toast selection and drag your folders into the open window shown and proceed with the burn. You should have better results than trying to burn it as a data disk since Toast has provided this as a specific process just for VIDEO_TS folders. Good luck! :)

Attached Files:

22. HiddenHawaii macrumors newbie

Is there any difference in burn time/quality if I use Toast or "Finder".

One more thing Mac The Ripper to .avi or similar. Do have any suggested software or how to?

Thanks

23. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well not sure of any burn time or quality differences, but one big difference is not being able to compress to fit a single layer disk when just burning in the Finder. Since most movies now come on double layer disks, when they are ripped the data files exceed the amount that can be burned on a single layer disk-- so your choices are to use double layer disks in the Finder or Toast since no compression would b needed or to use the "Shrink to Fit" compression option in Toast.

Can't really help with turning MTR's output (which is a normal VIDEO_TS folder filled with .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files) into .avi if that is what you are asking. Perhaps Handbrake could perform the conversion, but I cannot say for sure.

24. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

Wow, this thread was so helpful. I used to back up like a pro on my old XP machine so I'm relatively new to dealing with hard media on a mac. I've been moving away from hard media for a little over a year now but sometimes friends and family members want copies of alternative documentaries that I have so I'm forced to use such programs.

I've been very impressed in how Handbrake handles digital media output which is perfect if you're using a mac mini as a media center. The ability to save as an mp4, mkv, avi and ogm is all you need especially if you have an Apple TV or just want to save it to your hdd.

25. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I have had no luck with Mac the ripper and high level encryption like I often find when trying to back up my disney movies for example.. i have been doing it for years with anydvd and 1clickcopy DVD for windows so.. After about a month of pulling my hair out I have resided to the fact I will have to run parallels on my iMac in the future. UGH

I have had some minimal success with
    Mac the ripper
    DVD2oneX

not enough where I would say this software would decrypt and burn anything like my other 2 softwares... this is the ONLY reason I have for my one remaining pc. I wish the creators would just make a mac version!