mac the ripper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jnguyen4, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

hey guys... i was going through all the threads about ripping DVD's and i didn't find something about this. ok. i have been using MTR 2.6 or whatever the free version was for a couple years. Then i ran into some movies that it could not rip. I then upgraded to version 3.0. same problem. on the DVD's that the old one couldn't rip, this one just crashes when trying to recognize the disk. i think i saw people say that there are updates to MTR 3.0 but how do you exactly upgrade it? Is anyone else getting this?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Assuming your ripping DVD's you own, try using HandBrake. Its been able to do movies MTR couldn't.
    Is it a Sony or Disney DVD by chance? I havent been able to rip those..

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I came across a Disney movie that while in my MacBook it said there content was like 78GB and it's no BluRay just a regular DVD. I'm guessing it was part of its copyright protection, but I thought it was really weird that it would lie like that about its file size.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Go to www.ripdifferent.com and enter the MTR forum. There you will find stickies that will explain how to update to the currently supported version.

5. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

handbrake doesn't rip it into a video_ts file. i want to keep it in the dvd format.
    its not just the sony and disney ones. its pretty much all the new ones.

btw. when i use handbrake, it takes forever... dunno if thats normal.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep- the most common one that that form of protection has been used on is Wall E. The MTR "Ripping Issues- Title Specific" addresses how to get a good rip from that one (and many other titles).

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Handbrake isn't a replacement for MTR. The two programs don't serve the same purpose.

As for MTR, I'm not sure if the developers requires a purchase for each new version or what. I have several different versions of v3 (it's up to the '14m' update, I think). It's a crap shoot which one will work on a given disk.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I understand that. The original post didnt say what the files were going to be used for. I just assumed it was to be put on an iPod/iPhone or something like that where HandBrake has output settings for those devices.