Mac to Airport Express to Mac? help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexcellent, Jun 15, 2008.

1. alexcellent macrumors newbie

I am trying to share my internet connection between 2 macs, an iMac and a Powerbook, and about 75 feet of space. The iMac is receiving a direct-in ethernet connection from my modem. I have enabled internet sharing, however, is it even possible to use the airport to extend this signal? I cannot manage to get the Airport to recognize the shared signal; on the "join a network" page on the powerbook (mac #2) I have two options: 1. Computer or 2. Apple Home network (the airport's network from when i had previously configured it.)

Note: the airport does not have ethernet plugged into it, I am merely trying to use this as a bridge between the only ethernet signal I have (the one in the iMac) and the one i need it to go to (the powerbook)

did this make sense?

2. Chrycopsycho macrumors member

Ok, First thing...I am by no means an expert on these things so that's my disclaimer. Having said that, it seems to me you should have a router and a receiver somewhere in this scheme to broadcast the signal to your other Mac. On my home setup, I have a modem and router and connect wirelessly via my Airport card. The router sends the signal upstairs to my wife's PC's receiver and that's how she connects. I hope I read your post right; I usually am too dim to answer anyones questions here and leave it to the Mac Demi-gods!
    Chris