Mac to go with ADC 23 Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDALouis, Jan 5, 2009.

1. JDALouis macrumors newbie

I have a 23 inch Apple Cinema Display, and I need a new (used, refub, etc...) mac computer to go with it. It has to be a mac intel as I need to run parallels for school purposes. I don't have much as of a budget for this either. My quicksilver 867 is standing on its last leg and it can't run parallels. My other option is to buy a cheap PC laptop to do school stuff on ($399.99), but I would prefer just to stay mac.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-JDALouis

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Wait to see if a new MacMini is released and see if you can pick up a bargain as people try and get rid of their older models. That's what I'd do anyway.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree with the other poster. You may be able to get a current gen Mac Mini, which will be a prior generation in two days when the new generation Mac Mini is released. So, the $599 model may go for something like $459 or similar on clearance at the Apple Store. Or, if the pricing stays the same, for $599 you could get a brand new MacMini updated in two days at MacWorld. It seems that it will be an amazing little machine. A lot of potential based on all of the rumored updates. Especially with Nvidia graphics, faster RAM, and SATA HD. I would say if it is priced $599, you can have an amazing machine by just upgrading the RAM for another $60 or so. Would be Intel and probably snappy with all of the projected revisions.

Good luck whichever route you go.

4. JDALouis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions...

My thoughts were either a new Mac Mini or sell the display and get an iMac, but I am leaning toward the mac mini. I would have to get the ADC to DVI adapter, upgrade memory and maybe hard drive.

I would hate to get a pc laptop, but I would if I had to for school purposes only.

-John

5. macuser1997 macrumors member

If you sell it to get an iMac and put it up on Ebay, or happen to live in the Wash DC metro area, let me know.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Well, now that the new mac minis are not happening...

Oy, those old ADC monitors are a bitch because of that stupid converter you need to buy if you plan on using any other connector. $100 new, though you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

How much longer do you think you can last with the quicksilver? At this point it's completely up in the air as to when the new Mini will get released (though I would hope against hopes that it happens in the next 3 months), and unfortunately there aren't a lot of other cheap mac options for you. You could always buy a core solo mac mini off ebay and upgrade it, but by that time you'd might as just buy a refurb from the mac store, and then you'll regret not waiting. Either way, if you want to keep using that display you'll have to splurge on that adapter.

Have you considered getting a netbook and putting windows on it for the time being? Not the fastest nor the most fun to type on, but it's cheap and once you get a new mac you can always use it as an on-the-go solution. Hell, if you want you can even turn it into a Hackintosh (MSI Wind is the most compatible I believe). And since you need that adapter anyway if you want to keep the ADC, you can just go one step further and get a cheap DVI to VGA adapter and you'll have video out. Connect a keyboard and mouse and you'd be good to go... kinda.

Other than that, your options are a bit teensy. Good luck!

7. JDALouis thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't put alot of hope in rumors, but I guess I was caught up in the thought of a new mac mini. It does put me in a bind with my present situation.

I tried to put 10.5 on the 867 quicksilver, but it is running very slow even after a clean install. I have my previous 10.4 system running on an external lacie harddrive. It is working ok at the moment. I haven't done anything else waiting for all the smoke to clear from Macworld. The quicksilver is showing its age with all the use and abuse, but that is how to learn. I do have an option of getting the pc laptop at a semi decent price, and at least I would have a back up for any school assignment. That way I can restore my quicksilver to its previous state. Kind of thinking that I would need to get a new main hard drive for it, plus I have a firewire card in the back that needs replacing, just stopped working. I just hate to put all that money into something that I may not have for very long. It is a very good system with the 23 inch ADC Cinema Display. I did look at a dell 24 inch monitor, but it won't fit on my current desk, little too high (need monitor that is not higher than 2o inches.) I keep going around and around with all of this. I did look at used imacs last night, but little leery of the whole 3rd party used thing. Funny though, my cinema display is a refurb from the apple store - and working strong.

Ideally, I would love to have a system that I can have two hard drives on so one could be dedicated to windows through parallels. But I need an intel mac for that. The mac pros are so way expensive, it would take a long time to allocate that money for that. With 2nd baby coming in July, don't know when I will be able to get money together for a mac pro. I may be able to get the money together for the imac range. Whatever we get, I want to be able to use for awhile and not get cut off by software upgrades quickly.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for letting me put my thoughts down. Different eyes looking at the situation is always a good thing.

-JDALouis

8. JDALouis thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I am happy to say the PC laptop was sold out by the time we got there. I really wanted to stay with mac. Back to square one.