Mac to HDTV. DVI,VGA,HDMI? How and what rez?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ClemsonGLI, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ClemsonGLI macrumors newbie

I am trying to hook my Powerbook G4 to my new HDTV. I was going to use the DVI to VGA converter and use a VGA cable into the TV. What resolution should i set my computer at if i am mirroring them. Also if i'm not mirroring them.

Secondly How much better will the picture be if i use a DVI to HDMI converter or cable http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=333?

I have read about problems of black screens http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=260954&highlight=Hooking+Mac+to+HDTV

Thanks for the help :)

2. ClemsonGLI thread starter macrumors newbie

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well I would definately suggest the DVI option....

Im not personally that keen on the VGA as it is taking the digital signal your computer is outputting and changing it to analog with a loss in quality.

Keeping it digital would lose less quality with the DVI

Also when mirroring you can only keep the resolution the same as your computer monitor so I would suggest using the TV as your main display (unless of course you currently have an HD monitor! ;))

Hope this helps!

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I recently experimented with using an HDTV as a monitor for my MB. I got the Westinghouse 26" and initially tried connecting via miniDVI->DVI->HDMI, and found that by unchecking the 'overscan' option in display preferences on the MB I could get a fairly good picture when at 1366x768 resolution. I then tried the same setup but used miniDVI->VGA->VGA and got somewhat better results even though the connection was analog vs. digital. I was still not happy with the results (the colors somehow seemed washed out no matter what I did) so I returned it and got a 24" monitor. You might have better results with a better tv and/or a 1080p tv. All of my tests were in clamshell mode so that the tv was the ony monitor.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Use DVI or a DVI->HDMI converter and more than likely, the best bet will be 1366x768 (as many HDTVs are actually that resolution, not 1920x1080 or 1280x720).

Danny does have a point, a good monitor with HDMI or component inputs might be better, since it will be designed to understand the computer singal better.

TEG