Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
My brother has treated himself to a Macbook Pro 15" for his Architecture degree, and it would be really helpful if there is a way for me to send him files from my iMac to his Macbook P. Iv tried setting up a Computer-to-Computer network, and he has then connected to this. How do i now share files?
Cheers

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
OS X has a ton of networking features some of which are quite easy to use, and others will require more knowlege of IP addresses, your airport router configurations, the OS X software firewall, etc. It seems from reading your post that you are primarily interested in sending files to your brother. The easiest way to do this without a lot of tinkering with systems preferences is to fire up the old iChat, log into or create separate AIM accounts for you and your brother, and then do a simple file transfer. This method works well for a small number of files and you can actually send folders. I've used this method to send large zip archives >600MB with no problems. This method is actually quite fast if you have a broadband internet connection. :)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
smwatson said:
My brother has treated himself to a Macbook Pro 15" for his Architecture degree, and it would be really helpful if there is a way for me to send him files from my iMac to his Macbook P. Iv tried setting up a Computer-to-Computer network, and he has then connected to this. How do i now share files?
Cheers

You can share your public folder, and then he can drop documents into it.

System Preferences-->Sharing-->personal file sharing

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Just connect the 2 macs with an ethernet cable, or airport base station or other wireless router, and enable personal file sharing in system preferences. Then, in Finder, press command + K, and type in the IP adress of the mac you want to send files to. The HD will appear on your desktop, and you can drag files onto it:)

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
dextertangocci said:
Just connect the 2 macs with an ethernet cable, or airport base station or other wireless router, and enable personal file sharing in system preferences. Then, in Finder, press command + K, and type in the IP adress of the mac you want to send files to. The HD will appear on your desktop, and you can drag files onto it:)

Seems best option

Ive always used bonjour in iChat. Basically it means you can IM across your home network and therefore send files at about 5mb/s

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
Agreed with the above. just enable your file sharing. enter the IP and use his Drop Box :) ahh how i love the drop box heh. Makes it very easy to get things from my g5 to my powerbook

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I've used Pando a few times to transfer files with a friend outside of the same network (he's an hour away and runs XP), and that has worked well. Let's you do up to 1GB per transfer and it's free.

I know it's not exactly what's needed here, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway...

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
This is probably a massively important point iv missed, but do i need an Airport router? all i have is my iMac and his MBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.