Mac-to-Mac file transfer over airport question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Aug 15, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

I am transferring a folder of files from my MacBook Pro to my MacBook over wi-fi (Time Capsule / 802.11n network). Total folder size is 1.41 GB, and Finder is telling me it will take about 30 minutes (down from an initial estimate of 2 hours, which quickly dropped to an hour, then 48 minutes a couple minutes later).

The transfer rate is roughly .5MB every 1.5s or so in real time. . .is this about right, or do I have something set up very wrong?

These are two Macs, connecting to each other over a Time Capsule network (wirelessly); I have file sharing and Back-to-my-Mac turned on on both of them.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight anybody can offer!!

thanks!
    Mark

2. smalls1987 macrumors newbie

why even bother using the time capsule to send the file... just connect the two computers together via bluetooth.. then file transfer

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You probably won't get this message until after it's done copying, but you can speed the transfer up by connecting an ethernet or FireWire cable between the two computers.

Because 802.11n is roughly 50x as fast as Bluetooth.

4. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

BlueRevolution, thanks for your reply! Question, do I accomplish this simply by connecting the ethernet cable directly between the computers, or by plugging the ethernet cable from each computer into the AirPort (time capsule) station? Do I need to explicitly configure something in my network settings to recognize this connection, or do I just plug in?

Finally - which is quicker, ethernet, or FireWire 800?

thanks!!
    Mark

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You can use either connection, though having the base station as a middle-man in this setup doesn't make much sense, and may even hurt your transfer speeds.

You may need to configure sharing settings, but since you're already able to transfer the files back-and-forth over the airport connection, it's likely you've already done this.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Either method would work, but I suggest simply connecting a cable between the two computers.

I believe the OP was planning to eliminate the wireless element altogether, which would indeed significantly increase transfer speeds.

Ethernet runs at 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps, while FireWire 800 runs at (surprise) 800 Mbps. Since both computers have gigabit (1000 Mbps) ethernet ports, the ethernet transfer speed will be slightly faster.

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It seems that there is some crippling of the wireless files transfers between macs for some reason. The fastest way as others have said is just use an ethernet cable.
    You're lucky it was only 1.4G - 36G was going to take over a day wirelessly between my MBP and iMac. Cancelled that and a few hour later with the ethernet cables it was done.