Mac to Mac file transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dedalus, Mar 16, 2008.

1. dedalus macrumors member

Hi there i have a MBP and a black Mac, I'd like for them to share files, pictures, videos, music.

Could someone please tell me how to do that?

2. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

transfer on a network?

hi there, if you have a wireless network, then you can connect the two macs to it and make a shared folder on each. in the finder the computers will appear and you can connect to them by entering the password. accessing their files.
    i use it all the time with our home pc.

3. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

is there a way to have the HD of one computer come up in the finder of the other? that way i can access all the files directly without having to put them in the shared folder before hand. i'd like the possibilities of accessing my mac o the 3rd floor each time I'm working with my other mac in the basement. i do have a wireless network. is that a possibility?

thanks again for your suggestion.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Be much quicker if you had a firewire crossover cable, shame the macbook doesn't have FW800 just 400, still though much quicker.

5. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

the idea would be to have them communicating constantly without the hassle of a cable. time and speed are not the essence in my case, i'd just like to have machines that are able to talk to each other all the time. anyway around that in a wireless form?

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In that case just wireless. Be great if your router and both macs are wireless n, but if time is not of the essence then it doesn't matter.

7. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

how do I do that? i'm rather new at this, is there a step by step guide i can follow?

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just go to sharing in system prefs, turn on file sharing, add the folders/drives you want to share.

9. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

ok I did that and the computer appears on the other one but I still can't access the folders, it asks me if i want to access as a registered user or as a guest and then it says that I don't have privileges to access the folders...

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In the sharing in sys prefs on the mac you want to be shared, try messing about with the permissions (change them to read & write).

11. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

i gave everyone read and write permission. yet i still can't access folders it says i don't have the privileges. I'm able to access some of the files but cannot enter into the "desktop" folder for example. I've made myself a registered user and enter with a password.