mac to mac file transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rweakins, May 31, 2008.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

i currently have a macbook and i am getting another one and i'd like to move all my files and apps to the new one how would i go about doing that. the computer i am getting is used but is there a way to move my apps and files to the one i'm getting without using the discs from all the apps and installing them?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

As long as the computer you are getting is the same type (intel or PPC) you can use Migration Assistant to do this by booting your old Mac in Firewire target mode, connecting a firewire cable between the two and booting your new mac.

Or you can turn on file sharing on the old Mac and do a finder copy, but some of the apps may have to be reinstalled as they may not work properly if they are not totally self contained.

3. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

would it work to do a complete backup of my old computer and then use that on the new one?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

The safest way is to download Carbon Copy Cloner and make a clone backup of your old mac to an external drive that has firewire.

Then you can connect that drive to your new computer, and using Migration Assistant on your new Mac.