Mac-to-Mac Printing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nave05, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Nave05 macrumors newbie

hello...so, i have an iMac and MacBook. My iMac is connected to my printer through USB, and my question is: is there any way to print from my macbook through my imac? for instance, can i send the print job from my macbook via bluetooth or airport to my iMac to print? i am getting sick of switching the USB cord from computer to computer. i know i could just get a hub or something but i would still have to be close enough to connect the macbook to the hub. this may be a bit fickle but it would really make things simpler. thanks for any help!

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

First make sure you have the same version driver on both computers (so their print settings/Copies & Pages options will work right).

Then on the computer with printer attached, go to Syst Prefs > Sharing and turn on printer sharing. Go to the Print & Fax prefs pane > sharing tab to be sure sharing is enabled, too.

On the Mac without the printer, go to Print & Fax Prefs and click Add (+). The shared printer should show up in the window with Default Browser at the top.

Read more about this in Finder Help > mac Help.

3. Nave05 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the reply!

i tried everything you instructed but, on the mac w/o the printer, when i clicked on Add (+), the shared printer connected to my other mac didnt show up. I messed around a little bit and tried to find it but couldnt. I also went to the Mac Help but nothing worked.

I live on a college campus and can only connect to the internet via airport so i thought maybe that would have something to do with it. Perhaps my MacBook and my iMac are somehow on a different network. anyways if you have any other ideas, please lemme know.

Thanks!

4. ruZZ.il macrumors member

In the printer & fax prefs, is the printer set as "shared"?

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

The extra info about being in a school network is helpful. It is possible they have blocked the "port" for Mac print sharing (631). You can ask the school IT people about that.