Mac to multiple TVs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KCmonster, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KCmonster macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, i really need help. Everyone i talk to including apple support, tells me something different. I need to run a video from my powerbook to multiple tvs. The video will be made in imovie or Final Cut express. I need to run video from the mac into 4 or 5 tvs, all showing the video at the same time. Please someone help me with this.

Thanks
    KC

2. xStep macrumors 68000

I would guess you'll only have one video output from your Mac. From that output, you'll need a splitter of some type. Likely a box.

For SD sets (picture tubes), perhaps you could use something like a Monster ConnectAll 200 to get output from the Mac. The box converts the inputs into channel 3 or 4 on a cable which most TVs can handle. Then you could just use a common cable splitter. I can't say how well the signal would be though. This would suck for HD sets.

If you have a tower, then perhaps you could install multiple cards. That would likely be expensive.

If you give more information, perhaps someone will share their experience.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What kind of Mac do you have and what kind of TVs?

Also, would it be easier to burn 5 DVDs and have a DVD player at each TV? If eveything needs to be in sync, you could do 1 DVD player with a 5-way RF splitter.

If you need to use the Mac, then you'll need to split the output signal to each TV. Mainly depends on the input connections that each TV has.

ft

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

a DA6 would do the job to VGA... What input are you planning to use on the TVs? Component? BNC? DVI? HDMI?

5. KCmonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually going to try to connect to the coax on the tvs. coax cable is much cheaper as are the splitters and the tvs will most likely be older tvs.

6. KCmonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook G4 and the tvs will most likely be older model tube. And thanks for the dvd idea but thats just not the best route for live purposes. If you are wondering its going to be live video on stage for a professional band.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Hmmm, interesting. I'm with you on trying to keep it cheap and coax and f-type connectors will certainly be cheaper than anything else. I'm just wondering if you can actually output video from the PB and convert it to coax.

What am I thinking. You can get an RF modulator to convert from composite to RF (channel 3/4). If you don't have one, any old VCR should do the trick.

You'll need an adapter for the PB to go from DVI to composite. You'll be limited to 640x480, but that should be OK for what you're doing. Also note that overscan will be a big factor, so set up you camera a little wider than you might think.

Soemthing else to think about ... make sure you have your power adapter for the PB, turn off the screen saver and all of the energy saving features. Nothing worse than doing a live show only to have you PB run out of juice ... or having the screen saver come on at the wrong time.

Good Luck.