Mac to PC HDV Transfer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cpcarrot, Apr 18, 2008.

1. cpcarrot macrumors member

Hi, hopefully an easy question to answer (I hope). I have some video files (about 5 hours worth of unedited files) imported from a Canon HV-20 using FCS2, stored as Quicktime (mov) files using the HDV 1080i Apple Codex. I want to convert them so someone using a PC, Ulead Videostudio version 10 plus, can use them.

1) What would be a good format to convert / recapture them to so that they will be able to use the files? Idealy want to keep quality as close to original as possible.
    2) What software would be best to use for this?

I do have access to a Vista Machine with firewire that I could potentially recapture the footage on (but no software to speak of on windows because I never use it). As it is only 5 hours and I have the original tapes I am quite happy to do that if that will be better quality / more likely to be compatable.

Not used to editing in windows and I want to make sure the files will be compatable (the first time I tried it I just transfered the files FCS produced, thinking quicktime is quicktime, and they were no good, damm Apple only codex!)

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Recapture.
    It's also good to keep the timecodes intact in case stuff goes offline and you need to recapture.