mac to pc printer sharing w/ CanonMX850 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2kd, Sep 5, 2008.

1. 2kd macrumors newbie

I bought a new Canon Pixma MX850 yesterday and am in the process of trying to set up printer sharing just the way it worked before with an Epson printer.
    The printer is connected to a Windows XP machine via usb and print sharing is enabled.
    I have no problem with the Windows laptop in my son's room via wireless.
    However, in trying to use the printer from my daughter's macbook via wireless I am running into a driver issue.
    The macbook can see the printer but when it comes to choosing printer / driver from the drop down list the MX850 is not listed. I installed the drivers from the cd and that didn't help. I then went to Canon's website and grabbed what should be a more recent driver for OSX 10.5 and installed that as well. The printer is still not shown on the drop down list.
    Is there some little trick to circumvent this issue?
    I know that this printer can be plugged into the router via ethernet but because of placement it's a bit of a challenge to say the least.
    I would prefer to be able to do this wireless if anyone can suggest a tip.

Thank you very much.

2. jdonshik macrumors newbie

Network

This is a networked printer. Why don't you plug it in with a network cable and assign it an IP address. Then, you can use the instructions that are supplied with the printer (for network setup) to set up the Mac side of things. Worked for me as a network printer--I have one and a Mac Pro.

Oops--Didn't see that you had trouble from a wired standpoint. Perhaps you buy a wireless switch and then use a cable to extend the length so that it still plugs into the router.

3. 2kd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jdonshik.
    I do understand that this printer can be added to the network.
    It's the cost of 50' of ethernet cable and a trip under the house that I'd rather not make if I didn't have to.
    I plugged the macbook directly into the new printer with a usb cable and it certainly knows what it is and works using that method.
    Still stuck on the wireless / shared printer though. The macbook can see the printer there but it's waiting for me to tell it what it is and I can't.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

This is for Tiger, but similar for Leopard.
    http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3012.html

Note where it says to choose a postscript driver on the Windows PC. This won't be the "correct" driver for the printer - you have to choose one, like for example, Apple Color LaserWriter xx.