Mac to PC Sharing and Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jfriedman8, Apr 10, 2008.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

Ok so this is really starting to bug me because I am sure this is ridiculously easy to do, but somehow I cannot figure it out. I have read almost every single mac support thing on the topic and it still does not work. Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out with a step by step list of how I can make it so I can share my iTunes Music folder along with my documents between the two computers. Here is what I have done already and what I am having problems with:
    I have the smb sharing all set up with the address for my macbook saved.
    The problem here is where do I input that on my Dell Inspiron 1420 to access the mac?
    I understand the "Go" connect to server part, but when i enter the smb://computername it will not connect to my Dell. (They are on the same wireless network)
    Also, the PC does not even show up under the "Shared" section in my finder. I have no clue why since file sharing is on and there are plenty of people on my floor with PC's and all it can find are Mac's.

Any help would be appreicated.

2. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im running 10.5 and Vista... I knew all of this already so it doesnt help. When i use "Run" on my PC it freaks out asking me to associate it with a program.

3. duck33 macrumors regular

I had the same issue as you. Here is what I did:

First make sure the folder you want to share is "checked for filing sharing"

On your PC go to- Start - Run - in the "run" box type in cmd once the DOS box opens up type ipconfig then hit enter, then write down your IP address.

Now on your mac go to- "Go" connect to server and instead of typing in your computer name type in your IP address.