Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac_japan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Japan
I'm looking for a Mac to PC chat service that you can use your camera with. My GF has to move and she has a PC and I'm a Mac man. What I would like is ichat (but that isn't an option).
MSN messenger has Video chat but only PC to PC and with Yahoo, you can only send saved video files.

Can anyone give me any advice ??
Thanks for the help !!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Apple really needs to work with AOL and Yahoo. iChat AV for Windows would be beneficial to us all. It sits an idle app on my computer as I know no-one else with a Mac.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
AIM is coming out with a video client soon, it's already in beta. Though Apple is prolly waiting for it to come out aof beta before updating it. No since to update iChat now and then update it only a couple of weeks later because AOL changed something in since the iChat update. MSN Messenger 4.0 is suspected to be included with Office 04, so we can wait for that. What else... Oh Yahoo video PC 2 Mac works fine here (no audio obviously).

imac_japan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Japan
Thanks for the advice !!! By the way, what does AIM mean ???

I've been using a mac for quite some time but I've never had to use these programs before.

Its unbelieveable that Microsoft doesn't upgrade its messenger program - so much for working together

munchy81

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
cambridge, MA
audio chat Mac to PC

I agree that video doesnt work yet, but is it possible to have an audio chat conversation between a mac (powerbook) and a PC ?

does AIM work for this purpose?

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Originally posted by imac_japan
Thanks for the advice !!! By the way, what does AIM mean ???

I've been using a mac for quite some time but I've never had to use these programs before.

Its unbelieveable that Microsoft doesn't upgrade its messenger program - so much for working together

AIM means AOL Instant messenger. Its a free download.
I havent read the earlier threads.so forgive me if i am reiterating...but replying to the topic..for just video chat between pc and mac u can use yahoo messenger too..although it wont support audio...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.