Mac to PC with Canon iP4500

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by faffoo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have just bought a brand new iMac and this is my first ever mac.

Downstairs we have a Windows XP PC that has a canon iP4500 printer connected to it. I am trying to connect to it on my mac over the wireless network in our house.

The printer is set up to be shared and works over the network as we can print from our Windows Vista Laptop wirelessly.

Our wireless network is set up over a Belkin router.

On my mac I am managing to see files on the computer that the printer is connected to.

On that PC I can see shared folders on my mac.

When I go to print something on my mac i get the error

"Error Number : 311 Printer is in use or an error has occured. If an error has occured eliminate the cause of the error."

[See below - Thumbnail 1]

And on the windows pc in the print queue window the print job shows up as a "Remote Downlevel Document" with a file size of 0kb and nothing gets printed.

I have visited canons website and tried all OS X drivers including the CUPS version and NON-CUPS version.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I do not know what I am doing wrong in my printer setup.

Attached Files:

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Drivers are different on OS X...
    The drivers provided by Canon (including the one with CUPS in the name!) actually bypass CUPS - but the "standard" network printing protocols like Windows Printing and IP printing are provided by CUPS, so they require drivers that use the CUPS modular driver system. You need a real CUPS driver. The Gutenprint drivers included by Apple in OS X are one example of CUPS drivers. You need to update your Gutenprint drivers:
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

Is that all I have to do? Downlaod that and then re-configure my printer? Will that work?

4. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Colours

Hi,

I am now managing to print but i now have another problem.

When I click print in any application it is printing but any colours in the printed item is reallydark and is not as bright as it should be.

Is this another driver problem or have i done something wrong.

Thanks

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't have a Canon, so I don't have experience with that issue, but I think you'll have to experiment with settings in the print menu.

6. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this a problem that is heard of alot?

I have been through all colour settings in print menu and no change. The printer prints fine from a PC.

7. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

I have the same printer, and tried the CUPS/Gutenprint solution, but wasn't able to get acceptable results. Printing via the PC (with the printer on the PC) is very easy, unlike the Mac, but doesn't work for this printer/driver.

Now I just move the USB cable back and forth between the PC and Mac.

Very lame, but it works.

8. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately that solution is not feasible with my setup as the mac is in my bedroom (upstairs) and the printer (and windows pc) is in the living room (downstairs).

Thanks though

9. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Yes, because you have to use third-party open source drivers. The authors may not have an iP4500 to tinker with.

There is another option. You can pay for a better CUPS driver from www.printfab.net.

10. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi again,

First of all thanks for all the help.

I visited that site and downloaded the 30-Day Trial. I then set up my printer again using this driver and found it to work perfectly.

I would like to ask if you, or anyone else, knows of an alternative way of goign about this as the price tag of these drivers are a bit on the steep side for the amount I will use the printer.

I would also like to ask, what will happen to these drivers after the 30-Day trial period.

Thanks again
    Best Regards

11. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

12. iReplaced macrumors newbie

It's good to see people with (almost) the same problems I'm having.
    I have an iMac Running Leopard 10.5.6.
    I also have a Pixma iP 4500 and an older pc running XP (SP3)
    I have a D-Link DIR-655 Router.

I'm also trying to get both computers to print to the one printer. I've tried to hook the printer to the USB port on the Router, but both won't see it.

If I can only choose which computer the printer is on I'd prefer to have it on the Mac - Since I don't turn it off. And both computers are like 4 feet away, so I don't care if it runs wireless, or wired or combo.

13. hairlessheart macrumors newbie

Hi

I've got the same printer and am having problems too. The iP4500 is connected to my PC in another room and I've successfully got the printer recognised by my Mac, although I had set it up using the 'Advanced' menu item in printers, as clicking on 'Windows' did nothing other than show 'workgroup' in the window below, without letting me change anything.

When I try to print anything, I get the following error;

Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...

This is driving me mad!!!
    :mad:

Cheers

Doug