Mac to PS3 with ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by musty345, Apr 28, 2012.

1. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I want to backup my iMac's (late 2011) photos onto my PS3 with an ethernet cable.

How can I go about this? Do i just create a ps3/mac server and then transfer them over the server onto the ps3 at lightning speeds (using the ethernet cable)?

Thanks for your help

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

have you thought of using Medialink server on your iMac to serve your PS3 (albeit wirelessly). Works a storm for me.

3. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Not to thread jack, but thanks for posting that. I was wondering how to get my PS3 to recognize my MacBook. It seemed to find my Windows PC automatically before. Thanks!

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Never tried it, but it might work. Used to be you needed what's called a crossover ethernet cable to do this, but not with modern computers. But dunno about the PS3. Might just work, although setting up the ethernet on the PS might be tricky.

With wired routers being so cheap why not set up something more normal? And I'd highly recommend Playback by Yazsoft. It's a DLNA server running on the Mac so that you can access photos, video, music etc that's on your Mac or network on the PS3.