Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thought some of you might appreciate a "why Mac" story.

A conference I attend annually occurred last week. For the first time, it seemed like virtually all the speakers were presenting digitally -- mostly with PowerPoint on PC laptops. This conference is decidedly not technology-related, so possibly it's taken longer for this method to catch on with this group (and some of the traditionalists are still using a Carousel projector and slides). In order to minimalize AV disruptions, conference organizers were trying to get everyone to put their PowerPoint presentations on CDs so they could be loaded onto a PC laptop connected to the "PowerPoint projector" in the rooms. My partner and I were speakers and this was my first opportunity to try out Keynote on an audience, so I basically ignored that request -- we both assembled Keynote presentations, which I loaded onto my old Pismo.

Anyway, in general I'd say probably 75% of all the PowerPoint presentations in this conference experienced some sort of technical glitch, everything from slides that wouldn't advance to laptops that couldn't seem to generate a video signal the projector would recognize. In one session I attended, PowerPoint crashed and three different laptops had to be called in before one would work (as the distracted audience murmured).

Most of the rest of the PowerPoint presentations looked really, really ugly -- pixelated text, jerky transitions, etc. Par for the course, probably.

You have to know our Keynote presentations came off without a hitch and we were both complemented for the work afterwards. But that's not the best part of the story.

In my session, the presenter after me could not seem to get the PC laptop to work (some kind of login problem). I sat and watched the poking and prodding crowd gathering around the PC for a few minutes before I asked if I could borrow her CD. I slid the CD into my PowerBook and a minute later her presentation was imported into Keynote. We plugged the Pismo back into the video projector, and the show went on -- thanks to the Mac, and Keynote.

It occurs to me after this experience that for all of $1,100.00, a person could save themselves immeasurable grief and embarrassment in front of an audience by dumping the PC and PowerPoint for a reliable presentation package of Keynote and an iBook. It would be an excellent investment even if they never used the Mac for anything else.

So, Apple, are you listening?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
ah what a great story. i love keynote so much. i had forgotten how much powerpoint sucked. after i made a cool keynote, i exported it into powerpoint and loooked at it. to tell you the truth, i was ashamed of my presentation, but thats ok, i dont have to use powerpoint anymore.

iJon

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Originally posted by iJon
ah what a great story. i love keynote so much. i had forgotten how much powerpoint sucked. after i made a cool keynote, i exported it into powerpoint and loooked at it. to tell you the truth, i was ashamed of my presentation, but thats ok, i dont have to use powerpoint anymore.

iJon

I haven'nt tried it yet but are you saying that powerpoint was'nt playing it properly or you were ashamed because you were using powerpoint? In the case of the latter, you should be. :D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Jaykay
I haven'nt tried it yet but are you saying that powerpoint was'nt playing it properly or you were ashamed because you were using powerpoint? In the case of the latter, you should be. :D
no i never had a prolem with powerpoint, i knew ilike the back of y hand and it was nice program. i didnt learn keynote at first. i just installed it because i had it and then i left it. i had to do a presentation and i decided i would use it. i did and it was great. but i wanted to see what my prez would look like in powerpoint. so i exported it and looked. it worked just fine but it was just ugly. couldnt render graphics, the terrible transistions. keynote needs some more advanced timing features like powerpoint and it will be set. other than that keynote is great.

iJon

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
ahh, i must have read that wrong. Yeah Powerpoint is pretty comprehensive alright but then again it has been around for quite a while now. I like Keynote.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've never even attempted a PowerPoint presentation. Nearly every one I've ever witnessed -- at least on Windows -- looked awful, or something went wrong in the process. Usually it's the "no signal" problem. The audience spends long minutes looking at a blue screen or the Sharp logo, and by the time the speaker gets the situation straightened out (assuming they do), the audience has become distracted and has lost interest. It's difficult for even the most skilled speaker to come back from such a bad start.

And PowerPoint produces budd ugly presentations with such amazing consistency its hard to believe it isn't intentional. Even a good designer can't work around the pixelated text problem very easily and in the hands of someone without a good design sense and a feel for PowerPoint's limitations, the output is often downright grungy. An audience would be more impressed with flip-charts and magic markers. Seriously.

Keynote let me tell my story, and apparently better then I assumed when I put the presentation together. Later that day people who hadn't even been at that conference session were stopping to tell me they'd heard about it. How's that for hitting a home run? (thanks to Keynote).

Rescuing that PowerPoint presentation was just icing on the cake...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.