Mac to TV help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by martynfrancis, Aug 12, 2011.

1. martynfrancis macrumors newbie

Right I have had my iMac for a few days now. I have it in the office upstairs and have run an HDMI cable from the mac (using a mini display port to HDMI adapter) through the ceiling into my amplifier downstairs directly below the office (Pioneer SCLX73), which then feeds both my plasma and projector.

So I can control the mac from downstairs I've got an app called iDisplay for the iPad (which is awesome it can either mirror your screen or become a secondary monitor, only £2.99 too!).

Anyway, when the mac is being displayed through, and on to either the tv or the projector it cuts out fairly irregularly and comes back. I don't have to be playing any media be from VLC etc, but even when it is just the desktop being displayed, very very irritating. Also when audio is coming through it only comes through mainly on the rear right speaker, I presume this is a setting somewhere within VLC??

Anyone have any ideas? I can work my way around my pc as I've used them for years, and I'm sure its a settings thing as the pc works perfectly fine through the same setup, but can't get it to do it on the mac?

thanks in advance. Other than that wonderful bit of kit and makes me wonder why I haven't bought one earlier!

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I don't know enough about the HDMI specifications, but it's possible that the cable is too long to send a stable digital signal, and this is causing the flickering.

As far as the audio being on the wrong channel... it's been a while since I've run VLC through a digital audio system, but I seem to recall that was a pretty common issue I had with VLC. You can rearrange the ordering of which channels go to what speakers in the "Audio MIDI Setup" application.