Mac to TV without adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshms7, Nov 20, 2013.

1. joshms7 macrumors newbie

Hey, I need to connect my MacBook Pro to a HDTV, but I don't have the adapter required. I have the HDMI cable but not the adapter going into the Mac. I don't have time to purchase the adapter because I need to stream a live event from the Mac to the TV in a couple of hours. Is there any way of connect the Mac to the Tv without the adapter?

2. Ramasjang macrumors member

If you have an Apple TV you can hook that up to the TV, and then airplay from your Mac to the Apple TV...

3. joshms7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an Apple TV unfortunately

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

If its a smart tv install serviio server software on our computer.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Short answer, no, but the lack of clarification on model of both TV and MBP is problematic:

rMBP - HDMI to HDMI (if your TV has HDMI)
    MBP - Thunderbolt to HDMI/VGA/Component/Composite

These are standalone cables that don't requier an adapter, but if you need to pick something up anyway you may as well get what works best for you.

6. goMac macrumors 603

If you can't physically plug the Mac into the TV, then no.

7. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I was going say if you had a retina mbp there's already an HDMI port built into the machine. I would be curious though if there's an advantage to using thunderbolt to HDMI adapter other then for the higher res displays. Heard HDMI port is limited to 1920x1080 max output res.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You're either going to have to buy adapter or not be able to connect to the
    TV.

9. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Just buy the adapter? I know how it can be with money but in situations where you don't have a choice you just gotta take it like a man and pull that wallet out and buy it! Shouldn't have waited this long as Amazon has the adapters dirt cheap. Sometimes Best Buy has open products that work just fine for half off...thats how I got my first MDP to HDMI adapter for 11.99.