Mac to Windows on EXT. HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

I have an old Pismo ( which is going to die one of these days)
    Backed up on an Iomega "MiniMax" ext. HD Via FireWire
    I've partitioned the drive into a Cloned back up of my OSX system and 100GB of files photos and "stuff.
    Question ? I have just recievied a DELL D 630 with Windows XP Pro. If my MAC dies one of these days can I just plug the ext. HD into the dell and recouperate the 100GB of "Stuff" onto the Dell
    The Iomega has both USB and FW ports.
    Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, you need either HFSExplorer or Mac Drive to read the HFS formatted external HDD.

3. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

It hasn't happened yet...my old Pismo is still up and running.... But when!!!
    Do I just download this HFSExplorer ( is it just one app. or several, and where do I get it ?) onto to my windows machine...then what.
    I suppose I could just transfer the really important files onto a memory stick then transfer onto the Dell bit by bit ???? as most of the files are .doc or .jpeg.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

HFSExplorer can be downloaded here as a SINGLE APPLICATION, found via SEARCH.
    You open HFSExplorer while the external HDD is connected to the PC and browse the files and folders. As HFSExplorer is free, you can only read, as far as I know. Mac Drive supports read and write actions.

5. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I didn't realise Mac Drive was an App...Out of the two which one do you reccomend.... thanks

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac Drive, but give HFSExplorer a try first. And you should take the USB stick route if you can, in case the Pismo takes the HDD with it.