Mac to Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bc008, Oct 17, 2009.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I am looking for information on how to transfer everything on my mac to a windows PC using an external HD. I wont have the PC when I sell my mac, so I wont be able to do a direct connection between the two. Is there any way a PC can read a time machine backup? I only really need to transfer my music/videos/and pictures.

Please, I dont want to hear anything about "going back" to a PC. This is only temporary, for the next 6 months or so. Thanks all! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just make sure the external drive is formatted in FAT32 or NTFS, so any PC can read it. Windows can't natively read a Time Machine backup formatted in Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

but I could just plop a folder in there with everything I need as long as it is one of those formats? what one do you suggest?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just put everything in a folder or folders on that drive. From the PC, you can access whatever you need from that drive.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Does OS X allow write access to NTFS by default? I know you can read it, not sure about write though. You might need a third party install (like MacFuse maybe?) to allow write access. I think I read somewhere that Snow Leopard allows write access to NTFS out of the box.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Native OS X 10.5 does not write to NTFS. 3rd party apps like MacFUSE will enable that functionality.

Snow Leopard has the capability, but it's not enabled, by default. Here's how to enable it.
    There's also a thread in this forum on that topic:

7. oculus42 macrumors 6502

You can use MacFUSE and the NTFS-3g driver to do this, and it is completely worth it.

8. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

can somebody please tell me exactly how to do this? getting involved with terminal makes me scared :eek:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to do what?

10. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

Do I just install the 2 drivers Oculus suggested, and I will be able to write on NTFS?
    Also, if it helps I am running snow leopard.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're running Snow Leopard, you don't need MacFUSE or NTFS-3g. In fact, you have to uninstall them, if you have them. Please read my earlier post (#6) about enabling NTFS writing in Snow Leopard.

12. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

okay thanks :) The guide says their is good reasons why apple left out that support. Should I be worried? Also, the guide links to this. Any ideas on the ntfs mounter instead of going the terminal route?