Mac Transfering files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigRig, Sep 29, 2008.

1. BigRig macrumors member

BigRig

Hey all,

Sorry for the n00b question, but I'm getting my second Mac here and I need to know how to transfer files from the old one to the new one? Also, if anyone knows a link or can explain how to do the Bootcamp thing...my wife does the pc thing and I have to set it up for her to run windows...sigh...

Thanks!

BR

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Try to use FireWire target disk mode or just external hard drive using drag and drop.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

When you first boot up the new computer, it will give you the option of transferring data from another Mac. Just follow those instructions. It consists of booting up the old computer while holding the "T" key and attaching it to the new computer with a Firewire cable. It will then transfer the data for you.

You can do the same thing after the fact by launching Migration Assistant (in the Applications/Utilities folder) and it will walk you through the same steps.

For Bootcamp, just have the Windows Install disc handy (must be a full install disc, not an upgrade) and launch Bootcamp Assistant in the Applications/Utilities folder. It will do it all for you and walk you through the steps. It's fairly easy to follow.

4. BigRig thread starter macrumors member

BigRig

so I can just choose which files to transfer, or does it transfer everything over? Using the "T" option?

Thanks for the reply...I do appreciate it

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It transfers most everything. You don't pick specific documents.

However, you can still mount it using the "T" thing and manually drag files over.

6. BigRig thread starter macrumors member

BigRig

I see, well basically I just want to bring my iPhotos and iTunes stuff over, everything else is old garbage...mb a video game and my photoshop, but not everything...

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Can I do this w/ a USB cable since the new macbooks don't have a Firewire?

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@Prime: I don't believe you can use a USB with Migration Assistant. The new MacBooks and MacBook Pros should support wireless migration like the MacBook Air family, and also migration from a Time Machine backup.

@BigRig: Most of the answers to your BootCamp questions can be found on the Apple BootCamp page which is http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/ Download the pdf installation guide and keep it open on another computer, it will help you dodge most of the pitfalls that people who don't read the instructions fall into.

9. Dekimasu macrumors regular

So, assuming that you can transfer your files wirelessly through Remote Disc Setup, does anyone know how "updated" the old system has to be in order to use the software? Am I good to go with 10.2?

10. scorpiusdeus macrumors member

Had same question

This is kind of what I wanted to do as well. My 12" Powerbook had a corrupted drive and I need to go to a outside company to get my data back as Apple won't do it. HUGE lesson learned about backing up data being learned at $150/hr. I think my confidence in Apple was a bit over inflated.

Still, I love Apple but have learned I need to do my part. Since the old Macbook Pros are now on sale I'll pick one up and migrate over.

I am curious though, is it hard to just select things like iTunes songs, photos, and maybe all my email in Thunderbird.

Though I've used a Mac for about five years now I'm far from a power user and just do basic stuff on it. I'd really like to avoid bringing over past mistakes.