Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rob.rees@mac.co

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
London
Is there a Mac application to translate French to/from English? The translation utility is useful, but I want something which can do Word documents, PDFs, etc. Google Language is OK, but has its limitations.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Translating between languages is a tricky thing. There is no software that can do this accurately, you'll need to proofread the output. That's OK if you're going from French to English, but I'm assuming you can't read French and would therefore not be able to proofread an English to French translation.

Having said that, you could check a translation to a certain extent by then translating it back to English again, and checking whether the meaning is the same.

As for software suggestions, I have no idea :(

rob.rees@mac.co

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
London
Nermal said:
Having said that, you could check a translation to a certain extent by then translating it back to English again, and checking whether the meaning is the same.
That's what I do with Google Language, and it seems to work OK. I don't need precise or technically correct translation, just enough to get the sense of what is written.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.