mac tune up softwares?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by k2dragon, Jul 25, 2010.

1. k2dragon macrumors member

how can i speed up a mac? which softwares to use?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

[​IMG] :D

Can you be more specific about what you mean?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X takes care of itself with daily, weekly and monthly routines.

With Onyx you can do it whenever you want though and clear some caches if you want too.

For hundreds/thousands of similar threads;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you experience any slow downs?

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU or Real Mem to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Making The Most of Activity Monitor

4. k2dragon thread starter macrumors member

similar program like CCleaner for windows. my mac has been sluggish lately. also how do i properly uninstall a program from my computer and free up disk space?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This question has been asked and answered too many times to count. To uninstall an application, drag it to the Trash and then empty the Trash. If your application includes an uninstaller, then use it.

That said, if your are running low on hard drive space, then removing an application--or several applications--will not free up enough space to help you. Applications, even huge suites, don't require that much space. You need to look at video files and other media files and projects. Buy an external hard drive--they're cheap--and off-load your large files to it.

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I used to use CleanMyMac but it screwed up my system in the end.

Now I use Onyx it seems to work, but I dont notice any imporvement in speed regardless of what I do.

Its weird sometimes my OSX boots fast as hell, but now even I used onyx, I enter my password wait for a few seconds, the doc comes out then a few seconds after top panel and then after 5 seconds my desktop icons. Its frustrating.

I do not have anything working in the startup

7. townerboy macrumors newbie

yep onyx works well, but it is a case of keeping your apps under control as much as as anything

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OnyX is placebo-ware. It does no harm. The good that it does is done anyway and automatically by the OS.

Routine maintenance on MacOS X is unnecessary and a waste of time. If you have a real problem, then describe that real problem and ask for help to fix it.

9. townerboy macrumors newbie

but onyx enables you to schedule maintenance that otherwise you have to leave you mac on to be carried out overnight, which i don't want to do.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. This is extremely outdated information. The UNIX periodic tasks are no longer run only at night. They are run while your computer is powered up. You do not have to schedule anything. The OS handles that for you.

11. townerboy macrumors newbie