Mac turns off suddenly when not charging. No low bat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilith2014, Jun 22, 2011.

1. lilith2014 macrumors newbie

Good day,

My mac (unibody aluminium) is turning off suddenly when is not charging. Sometimes goes off when is 50% batt remaining sometimes around 78%. The battery is new, It has 31 cycles, 86% health.

I already reseted the computer (taking battery out and pressing the power button 5 secs) but is not working. Some articles says it may be the OS (i have snow leopard).

What should I do?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Open the bottom cover and make sure the battery connector is properly connected.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

4. lilith2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your responses but I have tried those two suggestions before. The problem is that if I am working on my mac without the charger, the computer turns off without any warning and the battery percentage is not always the same (it never last more than 50%).

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It has been my experience that it is most likely a bad battery. I had the same problem several years back with old aluminium Powerbooks, and Mac Book Pro. ( 2 different machines, same problem) Each time Apple would send me a new battery, and that took care of the problem on one of the machines, the other one they never could figure out.

7. seinman macrumors regular

Try calibrating it, as mentioned above. If that doesn't work, then this is most certainly a bad battery, seeing as it is reporting only 86% health after a mere 31 cycles. Mine is still in the high 80s after 500 cycles, and my last battery was hovering around 90% after 300. Get it replaced.