Mac Turns off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joseph.zimmer, Jul 14, 2008.

1. joseph.zimmer macrumors newbie

for some reason if i pick my macbook up or it moves it shuts down.... but not all the way, and i am unable to turn it back on for different periods of time

any thoughts?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That's due to the "motion sensors". It is there for your protection to prevent damage to your hard disk. If you want to move the macbook, put it to sleep first. This will spin down the drive. Then you can move it safely. Once you have placed it where you want to work on it, just open it (or if already open, hit a key on the keyboard) to wake it up.

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Is it normal to shut down? I move my MBP but it doesn't shut down!

Or else how programs like LiquidMac work?

4. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Moving a MBP shouldn't shut it down, or put it to sleep, or anything like that.
    The sudden motion sensors, should park the hard drive head to prevent damage to the disk, but that's it. I can move mine around fine no problem.

Try looking at the console to see if there's any indication of what's causing it. My Dad's iMac was going to sleep randomly and the console told me it was overheating, and I found the vents clogged with dust. I'm not sure what you should search for though, try 'sleep' or 'shut', 'shut down' etc and see if anything comes up.

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Why don't you call Apple?Maybe they know what's wrong....!

6. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

it doesn't go into sleep mode or anything... apple store said it may be the logic board?? i have it booted now is there a way to check that?

7. big_malk macrumors 6502a

If you put in the disc that came with your Mac, start up and hold D, it should go into a hardware test mode. I'm not sure how exhaustive the testing is though!

8. joseph.zimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

I no longer have the disc, apple is sending a new one but i guess i will wait until then,

thanks

9. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I think it would work if you tried it with a disc from a different Mac if you could borrow one from a friend until then, not sure though.

Your welcome :)

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope, the disks are machine line specific.

11. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Well, thats me proved wrong :p