Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
You guys still feeding *LTD*? :rolleyes:

I know, I know...one of these days I'll resist the urge.

Almost all of those tablets will be running Android, which also is a Google platform. So they are hardly behind the rest of the world - in fact, they are -powering- the rest of the world.

Why Google has two competing platforms for basically the same market is a different story altogether. And maybe Marc Fleury was right: They should consolidate both Android and Chrome OS into ONE platform: Droid.

http://www.thedelphicfuture.org/2010/11/chromeos-and-android-there-can-be-only.html

Broadband WILL expand big time. Don't worry. Even Apple is betting on that.

That's the thing that baffles me. Why DOES Google have competing OSes? It doesn't make any sense to me. I think they should focus on Android for tablets and not worry about ChromeOS.

And I don't see broadband expanding in the US. As long as most places continue to have only two real options for ISPs, there won't be much improvement. There is no incentive. Most people in the US have the option of Cable or DSL, and old-tech DSL at that. The cable company doesn't want people doing stuff like watching Netflix, Hulu, etc through their internet service. They would rather you get their TV service. While cable usually wins the speed wars, many of them have been implementing usage caps. And the phone company...is the phone company, they don't have to care. Third party DSL providers are just riding on the phone company's infrastructure. And Verizon has said they are done rolling out FIOS.

As for wireless infrastructure, we are WAY behind on that. The iPhone caused all kinds of problems for AT&T. Can you imagine how bad it will be when smartphones reach and even bigger portion of the market? And 2GB caps? Good luck doing something like watching movies on that.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
That's the thing that baffles me. Why DOES Google have competing OSes? It doesn't make any sense to me. I think they should focus on Android for tablets and not worry about ChromeOS.

theyve been working on/talking about/rumors about chrome for a while, before the ipad and tablets were tangible items, and netbooks were still king, and before there was the big competition between android and iphone. at that point chromeos made a lot of sense for a netbook-sized device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.