Mac unable to boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rupam, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Rupam macrumors newbie

Hi!!! i just found the forum and the reason i look for this forum coz my macbook is down. I will try to keep my writeup short and clear.

Macbookpro 15inch mid 2009 model:with mac and windows8 both running (just for info)

recently it started getting heated alot while gaming and i decided to clean the fans/vents etc from inside

i successfully manage to open and clean the mac from inside.
    unfortunately while putting it back I brake the track pad cable.( i ordered the new one and will get it soon)

I put the externally mouse and try to boot the system now here is the problem.

as i switch ON i hear the starting chime correctly but the my screen is stuck at initial grey screen.

Now I tried few thing to boot it but still I keep getting the grey screen and it does not show the drive.

Somehow I cannot believe the just breaking the trackpad cable can cause this.( it maybe so i thought of putting this on thread to ask ur opinion)

i cannot use the snow leopard dvd to boot, as my dvd drive is not working since long time.

so i have an option to try to boot using usb. I have another mac with lion, so it is possible to make a bootable usb from snow leopard dvd on another mac running lion? if someone can help me on this it will be great.

so what do u thing, is it the track pad cable which prevent my system to boot or i screwup something really big inside.

i read on few forum that if laptop starts with good chime it means the hardware test is successfully and the problem can be because of software.

thanks in advance for help
    cheers

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you have a firewire cable you can use the working Mac in Target disk mode as an external DVD drive. You could also use the working Mac to create a bootable 10.7 USB drive.

3. Rupam thread starter macrumors newbie

@simsaladimbamba @T5BRICK thanks for the quick reply... i will work based on ur reply :)

4. Rupam thread starter macrumors newbie

well at the moment i do not have the firewire cable, but there is an update..

i can start my laptop in windows safe mode .. SO ITS ALIVE :)

so most likely i need a reliable booting device for mac to reload the OS. since my dvd drive is not working i need to create USB of snow leopard and use it..

well thanks of the help guys..

cheers:apple: