Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Hey guys, I just got my first Mac (imac 17 incher) and it is fannnnntastic, but I have a question. My internet connection is dial up, so that makes updates and downloads a pain. I was wondering, when I went to school could I burn the 10.4.7 update on a cd and then when I get home get the info off of the cd? I already did this with bootcamp and it worked fine (although I need 10.4.7 for bootcamp to work:mad: )

The computers at school are windows PC's which shouldn't matter since i'm not installing it right?

One other thing I was wondering about, and I know its probably been answered before, but how do you clear a cd on a mac, I can't figure it out all it says is that I don't have the right to do it.

Thanks for the help guys.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Download whatever files you want and throw them on a cd. The only way you might run into problems is if you don't close the session on the cd.

I've long-since given up on CD-RW's, but I imagine Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) can erase 'em.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Thanks reh I appreciate it, I am really loving this thing, all I have to do is get it updated and It'll be at the top of it's game.

I was afraid that moving things to and from windows would be a problem, but I haven't had any issues as of yet.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
No problem. Another decent option for transferring files is a USB flash drive. It'll save you from having to mess with burning cds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.