Mac update wiped ALL my files!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by al3co, Dec 10, 2009.

1. al3co macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I installed two updates last night, I think one was a java update, and the other a wifi update via the mac update tool.

Upon restarting, there was a message saying I needed to turn the laptop off using the power button. I did this and turned it back on again, but it just got to the grey loading screen and then froze. Multiple reboots didn't help.

So I started Windows 7 up, and I think it went into chkdsk (I'd gone to get some food whilst it was booting up so only caught the tail-end of it).

Rebooting, I got back into OS X finally. However, my shared partition (NTFS) has been totally *wiped* :eek: :(

I'm guessing Windows might've deleted all the data with chkdsk, but can't be certain as when booting into OS X an error report I sent off looked like it mentioned the shared partition.

Anyway, what can I do??! Any way to get the files back? (whole range of files so photo-only progs won't be up to the job) :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Data Rescue 3 to recover lost files, it scans your HDD for every file and then you can recover it to an external drive.

And you have to immediately stop any writing process to your HDD, as not to overwrite lost files.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Use your backup... Oh, you don't have one, do you :confused:

4. al3co thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll give that a try and report back :) I've not written anything to the partition since, but I think Windows did with its disk check.

Annoyingly, a networked backup drive was going to be my Xmas gift for exactly this reason... :( typical - 2 weeks later and all would've been fine!