MAC upgrade for Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dikkers, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Dikkers macrumors member

Just want anyone thoughts on this upgrade

from...

2ghz power pc G5,
    2.5 GB DDR2 SD Ram

to...

MacBook Pro, 17-inch, Aluminium
    Part Number: Z0G5
    2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    256GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
    Accessory Kit

plus Apple LED Cinema Display (24" flat panel)

Basically the Boss has said to put in our computer requests for the new financial year, any designers out there with some pros or cons of the above set up for Adobe CS3, 4gb ram should be enough for CS3, not like there's any intensive rendering there etc etc.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like overkill to me, but if your company will pay for it you might as well max it out.

3. Dikkers thread starter macrumors member

you're right, better make it 8gig ram...

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Find some benchmarking between the two systems to justify the purchase. "Look boss, this new system is _____ times faster than our current rig. With our work flow, it will pay for itself in ____ (units of time)! After then the system will result in an increase of ______ dollars over the next ____ (units of time)! We can use the new system as a business deduction, can't we?"

If necessary, it gives the boss a reason to justify the purchase to his or her boss.

5. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Don't bother with 8GB's of Ram... I am perfectly happy with 4GB... and it is still way faster than any other laptop I have ever owned!!!!

Also... the 256GB SSD is way to expensive!!! As it is like really too easy to install... I would wait until prices go down and... well they are cheaper!!!

I have a 500GB Drive in mine... and I really don't have any complaints about it!!!

Also.... what is the point in getting the Matte display if you are going to connect it up to a glossy 24" one??? I think that that is slightly weird!!!

I on a normal day, have mine (same spec, bar SSD) connected up to a 23"/30" Cinema Display.... It is only because I well... like large screens!!!

Jack