Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
Okay so I have an iMac 21.5 inch and my mum has a Mac mini. Now does anybody have any idea how i can get them two to talk and to share files? so for example i can go onto my imac and click on my mums mac mini on the left sidebar in finder and brows through the mini's files?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
System Preferences > Sharing

You have to turn on File sharing on both macs. Looks like you can select which folders to share.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 20.39.15.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-06 at 20.39.15.png
    87 KB · Views: 55

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If they are both on the same network (LAN or Wireless LAN), go to System Preferences > Sharing and enable File Sharing.
Then connect to the other Mac via Finder and log into an account on the other Mac with the password of that other account.

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
but it just says connection failed when i just click on the mac mini in finder. then when i try screen sharing or connect as i enter the name and password of the mac mini but it says authentication failed even though its the right username and password

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
on the iMac, open the terminal

type the following:

say Hello Mac Mini

press return. ;)

Seriously though, do you have an account on your mum's computer?

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
after you turn on files sharing click on go then click on connect to server...
choose the one you see on the screen then input the user name and password.

its not hard to set up a network in your house.

--Eric

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
after you turn on files sharing click on go then click on connect to server...
choose the one you see on the screen then input the user name and password.

its not hard to set up a network in your house.

--Eric

but there is no 'go' to click on. how can i set up my own in house network and also do i have to have my OWN separate user on my mums mac mini or can i access her files through her account?

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
look at the top of the finder window where it says view edit go....somewhere on top you will see where it says connect to server

then it will ask for username and password use the username and password from the computer you are logging into.

or hit the Command and K buttons at same time to log into server.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.